A 68-Year-Old Man Is The Seventh Shark Attack Victim In Three Weeks In North Carolina.

A 68-year-old man was badly injured by a shark in the seventh attack off the North Carolina coast in less than three weeks.

Local officials said the unidentified man was swimming in waist-deep water with his adult son on Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks on Wednesday when he was attacked by a six- to seven-foot shark.

The man was bitten in his lower left leg and hip and on both his hands shortly after noon. Authorities report that he victim was conscious when he was taken into a helicopter and was able to provide a description of the attack which allowed officials to confirm that he was bitten by a shark. (Scroll down for the video.)

1. The most recent victim of a North Carolina shark attack was bitten on his leg, hip, hands and ribcage while swimming in waist deep water along ton Wednesday. Pictured, a crowd surrounds and attends to him.

A 68-Year-Old Man Is The Seventh Shark Attack Victim In Three Weeks In North Carolina.

The man was taken for treatment to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, North Carolina, authorities said. The National Park Service released a statement which read, in part:

He had been swimming in about 25-30 feet offshore in about waist-deep water with his adult son. There were no other swimmers injured.

Justin Gibbs, the director of emergency services in Hyde County, told reporters:

The individual was actually located right in front of the lifeguard tower when it occurred.

2. A 17-year-old boy was bitten in his right calf, buttocks and both hands by a shark while swimming in the Outer Banks last Friday (photo: David Marko).

Yet Another Shark Attack In North Carolina, The Sixth In 2 Weeks.

3. Just over two weeks ago, two teenagers were victims in shark attacks that took place within 90 minutes of each other in North Carolina.

Yet Another Shark Attack In North Carolina, The Sixth In 2 Weeks.

Local police said that the victim was pulled under water by a shark measuring about 7 ft in length, just after midday on Wednesday.

The Wednesday incident is the seventh shark attack off the North Carolina coast since June, including one in the Outer Banks last Friday when a 17-year-old boy was was bitten in his right calf, buttocks and both hands while swimming.

George Burgess, who runs the Florida Program for Shark Research at Florida International University said the high number of attacks in North Carolina “is an extremely dangerous situation right now”. He added:

There is clearly a continuing threat situation here.

Burgess, along with some law enforcement agencies, has called for many of the waterfront communities in North Carolina to consider closing the beaches.

4. A man is airlifted to hospital after the seventh reported shark attack in North Carolina since June — an ABC News report.

Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.