A father ordered his son to destroy his Xbox video game console as a punishment for bad grades and captured the resulting scene on video, which quickly went viral.
The boy, named Jason, had been given three weeks to improve his performance at school, which he evidently couldn’t deliver.
Jason’s father then orders his son to smash his Xbox with a sledgehammer, after placing the console on the grass in front of their house as he films the proceedings.
The clip was titled Good Parenting: Father Makes His Son Destroy One Of His Xbox Consoles For Failing In School! and promptly caused controversy over the dad’s chosen form of disciplining his son.
On May 13, the clip was uploaded on World Star Hip Hop, where it has since been viewed close to 800,000 times.
On the same date, the video was also published on YouTube, where it has attracted more than 470,000 views so far.
At the beginning of the clip, Jason is heard saying “It’s not my fault” and “I hate my life”, before taking the hammer to what seems to be a white Xbox 360 console.
After destroying the console, Jason’s dad orders him to do the same to what appears to be an Xbox One.
However, the boy refuses and throws the sledgehammer to the ground.
1. Jason is ordered to smash his beloved video game console after he came home with bad grades.
2. The video was titled Father Makes His Son Destroy One Of His Xbox Consoles For Failing In School! and published on YouTube.
As his dad tells him to pick up the hammer and finish the job, the boy stands by the console and cries.
A stretch of back-and-forth follows, during which the dad repeatedly asks his son to finish the job, only for Jason to reply that he can’t.
The clip ends with the boy holding the hammer and staring at the ground, however the second console is still intact.
The commenters have been divided in their response, with many praising the father for his heavy-handed approach, while other criticizing him for waiting three weeks before deciding to do something about his son’s academic issues.
Yet others are accusing the dad of meting out too harsh a punishment.
3. As his father tells him to pick up the hammer and finish the job, Jason stands by the console and cries.
4. The video ends with Jason holding the hammer and staring at the ground with the second console still intact.
5. If Jason had destroyed the second Xbox, it would have been a costly lesson as Xbox One consoles go for $350.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter — they would want to read that, too.