Rarely a month passes by without a horror story or two making headlines about passengers trapped for hours in a plane sitting idle on the tarmac. Well, this one offers an example of how such situations should be handled.
The solution, one pilot demonstrated, is quite simple: order your disgruntled and impatient passengers pizza. It works wonders!
A Delta flight from Philadelphia to Atlanta, which took off on Tuesday at 2 pm, ended up sitting idly on the tarmac in Knoxville for more than two hours, after bad weather in Georgia made landing there impossible and forced the captain to land in Tennessee. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. A baggage cart delivered a massive Pizza Hut load for a Delta flight stuck on a tarmac in Knoxville after being diverted from Philadelphia to Atlanta.
2. The pizza may not have placated everyone on board, but the toppings certainly helped.
Stuck on the plane for hours, the passengers were pleasantly surprised when a baggage cart loaded up with Pizza Hut goodies pulled up to their airplane.
Khoury Ashooh, flying home with his wife and their four-year-old daughter, took some pictures during the unexpected two-and-half hour delay. He told The Daily Mail:
We circled in the air for a while then the captain said we were diverting to Knoxville because of storms over the airport in Atlanta.
3. Another passenger shared this photo from his flight — although it’s unclear which of the many weather delayed flights he was on (photo: Twitter)
4. Storms in Atlanta were wreaking havoc on Delta flights Tuesday and multiple flights dealt with the delays by feeding their passengers pizza.
Rather than landing in Atlanta at 4 pm, the plane ended up touching down in Knoxville, Tennessee, where the passengers were forced to sit for hours.
While “sitting on the tarmac”, Ashooh explained, “the captain orders pizza for the whole plane”.
His young daughter loved the pizza and wasn’t the only happy passenger. Ashooh told The Daily Mail:
A fun passenger got up to help serve it. Pretty cool.
5. “What makes a few hour delay of your night flight better? Free pizza! Thanks”, wrote Instagram user jill_hohnecker in the caption for this image.
Eventually, the Philadelphia flight landed in Atlanta just past 7 pm, three hours after schedule.
And it turns out that this Delta pilot wasn’t the only one to appeal to his passengers through their stomachs.
Delta flights from Ohio, Illinois and Mississippi, which were also delayed, were all treated to pizza deliveries by the airline, passenger tweets revealed.
Delta was especially hard hit by inclement weather in Georgia on Tuesday, as Atlanta is a hub for the airline.
6. Passengers get free pizza while waiting out hours-long delays on the tarmac.
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.