A graduating class at a New Hampshire high school is donating the money the students had raised for its class trip to the school’s cancer-stricken principal.
Courtney Vashaw, principal of Profile Junior-Senior High School in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, said that her school works hard to teach their students the values of compassion and caring for others, however she never expected it to affect her own life.
A week ago Vashaw told her students that she wouldn’t be at school for some time, because she had been diagnosed with a rare, aggressive form of cancer. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Courtney Vashaw, principal at Profile Junior-Senior High School in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, was overcome with emotion after her students voted unanimously to forgo their planned trip.
2. “It is very hard for me to accept help, and I have no idea what to say to you”, Vashaw told her students after they told her they were giving her $8,000 towards her treatment.
The class had been raising money for four years and planned to spend four days at a ranch in upstate New York.
However, after hearing the sad news about their school’s principal, the seniors unanimously voted to donate their savings of $8,000 to help pay for Vashaw’s medical care.
She told the students:
It is very hard for me to accept help, and I have no idea what to say to you.
3. Vashaw had revealed to her students last week that she wouldn’t be at school for a while, as she had been diagnosed with a rare, aggressive form of cancer.
4. “She’s just very caring, very selfless, and we wanted to be selfless, too”, said senior and class treasurer Ian Baker.
Senior Ian Baker told WMUR:
She’s just very caring, very selfless, and we wanted to be selfless, too.
Senior class president Christopher Sirois added:
Every one of us has a connection with her, and she has given so much to us that we just wanted to give back.
The students will still have a trip, however it will be made locally and they are planning to hold more fundraisers for Vashaw.
5. A Bethlehem, New Hampshire, senior class gives their trip money to the cancer-stricken school principal.
6. The touching reason why seniors donated their class gift to their principal — an ABC News report.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.