This video has attracted more than 2 million views since it was published on Vine just three days ago and has set off a raging debate, dividing viewers over whether it’s the cruelest trick to play on a child or just a hilarious joke.
The seven-second clip was posted by Vine user Tevyn Demmings with the caption:
When you lie and tell a bad ass kid they got Ebola #funny #Ebola.
In the short video, the mother is seen wearing a mask over her mouth and, while holding a thermometer, says: “Look at his temperature!” She then shows it to the father, who immediately pronounces: “Oh hell no! He got Ebola!” Unsurprisingly, at this point their young son screams in terror and bursts into tears, while his younger brother runs off.
The video was then uploaded to YouTube and the prank has divided viewers into two camps. Some say it is “cruel” and “heartless” to play such a trick on a child, while others say it as “hilarious”.
Here is the video itself:
1. The little boy appears visibly worried as his mother takes his temperature while wearing a mask.
2. She shows the thermometer to the father, who is off-camera and says: ‘Look at his temperature!’
One user commented:
It’s not the prank that boils my blood, but the fact they recorded it then uploaded it to the public on the web as a light-hearted joke.
Another commenter said:
God forgive me, but I’m laughing so loud. Poor baby.
3. The father proclaims ‘he got Ebola!’ at which point the boy lets out a wail of terror and bursts into tears.
4. Cruel? His little brother, seen in the lower right corner, runs off despite his sibling’s distress.
5. There’s no consoling the little guy, who continues to cry after his ‘diagnosis’ of the disease.
Share this Halloween prank with your friends and give us your thoughts in the comments below: is it cruel or hilarious?