A mother was caught on security camera falling to her death into a collapsing escalator at a Chinese shopping mall, moments after she heroically threw her two-year-old child to safety.
Xiang Liujuan, 30, was going up an escalator at an Anliang department store in Jingzhou, in the central Chinese province of Hubei, with her toddler son.
When the two reached the top of the escalator, however, a floor-plate collapsed and the woman fell through the resultant hole, as captured by the security camera.
Fortunately, moments before falling to her death, the woman was able to toss her son toward mall staff, who grabbed hold of the child and pulled him to safety.
Staff members at the top of the escalator attempted to help the mother as well, as the top of her body was dangling above the shaft, but could not rescue her.
The tragedy took place on Sunday, when the woman was shopping with her husband at the mall, according to the Wuhan Evening News, although the man was not on the escalator.
Initial reports claim that workers had just carried out maintenance on the escalator, but forgot to screw the top cover back into place.
It reportedly took rescue crews four hours to retrieve the woman’s body from the escalator, by which time it showed “no signs of life”.
1. Mother Xiang Liujuan, 30, was killed when she fell into an escalator at the Anliang department store in Jingzhou. Maintenance workers are being blamed for failing to screw a floor plate back into place.
2. The mother and her two-year-old son rode up the escalator together, but when they stepped off the escalator at the top, the floor gave way beneath them.
3. Before falling into the escalator shaft, Xiang was able to toss her two-year-old son (pictured) out of danger.
4. Staff at the department store in Jingzhou struggled to help the woman, after she threw her child to safety, as her body dangled over the escalator shaft.
5. The department store workers were unable to help the woman. Her body was recovered by rescue workers.
6. Workers spent four hours attempting to remove the woman’s body from the escalator machinery.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.