A pizza shop employee helped rescue a young kidnapped boy in Texas after she identified the abductor’s car thanks to an Amber Alert she had received on her phone.
Courtney Best, who works at Papa Murphy’s Pizza in Corpus Cristi, Texas, received the Amber Alert for abducted seven-year-old Nicolas Gomez while taking a smoke break at about 12.10 pm on Thursday.
Shortly afterward, Best noticed a white Dodge Avenger pulling into the parking lot, which matched the description on the Amber Alert. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Courtney Best, a 26-year-old employee at Papa Murphy’s Pizza in Corpus Cristi, Texas, helped rescue a kidnapped boy after she matched a car in the restaurant’s parking lot to an Amber Alert she’d received on her phone.
2. An Amber Alert had been sent out saying that authorities were looking for seven-year-old Nicholas Gomez (left) and his mother’s boyfriend, Channing Eloy Galbraith (right), in his 2009 white Dodge Avenger.
Speaking to KRIS, Best said:
I [saw] a white car pull up, and I just happen to take my phone with me, ’cause we don’t look at our phones at work, and I looked down and I saw “white Dodge Avenger Amber Alert”, and I was like, “Nah, that’s not him.”
But then Best noticed an odd interaction between a boy and a man who got out of the car and walked into the Family Dollar in the same strip mall. She said:
The man was walking across the parking lot looking at me, ’cause I was the only person out here, with the little boy, and the little boy looked scared, and I was like, “no, that’s not him”.
3. Though Best usually takes her smoke breaks behind Papa Murphy’s, this time she decided to stand out front, which is where she spotted Galbraith’s car.
4. Best was able to identify Galbraith’s car by matching the license plate number to the Amber Alert information. She said she rarely looks at Amber Alerts but that she will pay more attention from now on.
Still, she got into her car and drove past the white Avenger to check if the license plate number matched the one in the Amber Alert.
When they did match, Best called the police and as the suspect and the boy returned to the car, she reported which way they drove.
Best followed the car until it was pulled over by Corpus Christi police, according to The Corpus Christi Caller Times.
The police arrested Channing Eloy Galbraith, the boyfriend of the boy’s mother, on a $100,000 kidnapping warrant obtained by Alice Police Department detectives. He was taken to Corpus Christi city detention center and will be sent to Jim Wells County to face kidnapping charges.
Nicolas did not seemed to be injured, but police took him to Driscoll Children’s Hospital as a precaution.
5. A pizza shop employee helps rescue a kidnapped child.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.