A Pregnant Woman Sucks The Venom Out Of Her Son’s Foot After He Is Bitten By A Rattlesnake.

A heavily pregnant California woman whose son was bitten by a rattlesnake did the only thing she could think of to help: she tried to suck the venom out.

Nine-month-pregnant Jaclyn Caramazza’s son Vinny stepped on the rattler while the two were hiking near their home in Folsom, California, but initially his mother wasn’t sure what happened. She said:

I’m looking around, and took his shoes off, and lo-and-behold, there were two little puncture marks.

1. Jaclyn Caramazza’s son Vinny stepped on the rattler on their way home from a hike, but his mother wasn’t sure what happened at first.

A Pregnant Woman Sucks The Venom Out Of Her Son's Foot After He Is Bitten By A Rattlesnake.

2. “I’m looking around, and took his shoes off, and lo-and-behold, there were two little puncture marks”, Jaclyn said.

A Pregnant Woman Sucks The Venom Out Of Her Son's Foot After He Is Bitten By A Rattlesnake.

Jaclyn told KTXL that once she figured out what the problem was she went into “Mama bear” mode. She said:

Instinct in me decided to suck the venom because that’s what Bonanza does.

Experts say that what the mother did is not what anyone, never mind a pregnant woman, should do in such a situation.

First aid for snake bites should be to clean the wound and lower the site of the bite to a level below the heart, experts say, however the venom should never be sucked out, nor should the site be cut with a knife or a tourniquet applied.

3. “Instinct in me decided to suck the venom because that’s what Bonanza does”, Jaclyn said.

A Pregnant Woman Sucks The Venom Out Of Her Son's Foot After He Is Bitten By A Rattlesnake.

4. First aid for snake bites includes cleaning the wound and lowering the site of the bite below the heart, but never sucking out the venom, cutting the site with a knife or applying a tourniquet.

A Pregnant Woman Sucks The Venom Out Of Her Son's Foot After He Is Bitten By A Rattlesnake.

Fortunatelly, Caramazza immediately rushed to the closest hospital. She said:

We went to Mercy Folsom, which is about a five minute drive, and made it in three.

She was lucky and the snake’s venom did not spread to her or her unborn baby. Vinny is also recovering.

The mother says that she’ll now be “putting up some things in our backyard to keep the snakes out and counting our blessings”.

5. A pregnant mom tries to suck rattlesnake venom from her young son’s foot.

Read more: KTXL.

Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.