A nine-year-old girl was mauled by a lion after the cat was taken for a walk like a dog by a circus worker in a quiet Siberian village.
The child is being treated in hospital after she was savaged by the lion in Namtsy, in Siberia’s Sakha Republic — one of the coldest places on Earth.
Pictures show the big cat being walked around in the streets by a woman who works for a traveling circus which had been visiting the village.
1. A young lion who seemed to be walked like a dog around the Siberian village of Namtsy attacked a child.
2. The nine-year-old girl was reportedly savaged by the lion and was taken to hospital for treatment.
In one image, the woman is seen crouching next to the lion in the snow.
In another picture, she is captured walking the big cat and seems to be trying to get it to cross an icy road by pulling on a makeshift leash.
The circus has abruptly left the town of Namtsy, also known as Yakutia, after the incident.
3. The circus is believed to have abruptly left the village — one of the coldest places on Earth — after the attack.
The young girl was walking home from music school with her mother when the lion attacked, according to The Siberian Times.
The girl’s father, Gavril Kolpashnikov, said:
I was fishing, and got back at night. I saw my child in a horrible condition. To put it mildly, stressed. She’s shocked.
The child is still shaking, she’s not of those brave kids.
4. A circus worker is seen with the lion using a makeshift leash.
Mr. Kolpashnikov added:
They were walking their animal as if it was a dog.
The precise extent of the girl’s injuries following the attack has not been confirmed.
Precedents suggest that, once the Russian authorities have caught up with the circus, the lion who mauled the girl will be euthanized.
5. The girl’s father said: “They were walking their animal as if it was a dog.”
Source: The Siberian Times.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.