An utterly devoted dog has proved his unfailing love for his human after he gave chase to, and kept pace with, a speeding ambulance which had taken him to hospital.
Desperate not to be separated from his master, the dog was filmed running along in the middle of the road in the ambulance driver’s side mirror by an astonished paramedic in Goiana, Brazil. The video, released over the weekend, has captured the adorable canine bounding beside the ambulance for several minutes in its determination to keep up with it.
At one point, the dog begins to fall behind as it seems to be running out of breath, but it manages to keep close enough to the side of the vehicle. And when it catches up again, the dog looks up appealingly at the crew as if pleading for help.
Eventually, the ambulance crew decide to pull over and let the dog hop on board. Paramedic Celiomar Ferreira do Couto, who took the video, said the whole ambulance team was touched by the love the dog had shown for his owner, a homeless man. He said:
I’ve been doing this job for 19 years and I’ve never seen anything like it. Sometimes we arrive at the scene of an emergency and there are pets around but they are too shy for us to get close to and they often run way. I have never seen this reaction in all my career.
Once on board, the faithful canine won praise from the crew for his exemplary behavior. They allowed him to sit next to his owner in the ambulance all the way to the hospital.
1. Astounded paramedics filmed this devoted dog keeping up with its owner — as he was taken to hospital at high speed in an ambulance. Eventually the crew in Goiana, Brazil, let him aboard.
2. At one stage the dog crossed to the pavement, beginning to fall behind as it ran out of breath.
3. The dog ran alongside the ambulance between it and the pavement, to the crew’s amazement.
Mr. do Couto said:
We couldn’t believe how well-behaved the dog was. It just sat quietly and patiently beside its owner. It didn’t even bark. The man was in and out of consciousness but he could see his companion was right there with him on the way.
At the hospital, the dog’s owner, who had suffered an epileptic seizure, was placed on a stretcher and the devoted pet was again filmed hovering around, eventually settling down beside his human’s bedside.
The hospital has not commented on the outcome of the man’s stay and whether or not he recovered to leave with his dog. Mr. do Couto said:
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find out what happened to the pet and its owner, but it has certainly given me faith in the loyalty and love that exists between owners and their dogs.
Yes, it does!
4. The dog drawing level with the ambulance in a feat which prompted pity by the crew.
5. The pet looks imploringly up at the ambulance’s crew, one of whom filmed the scene.
6. Paramedic Celiomar Ferreira do Couto said: ‘In 19 years and I’ve never seen anything like it’.
7. The dog next to its owner on a stretcher in hospital. The outcome of his treatment is unknown.
Share this story of canine devotion with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.