After two decades in the ring and a series of mega fights, Manny Pacquiao has become one of the most recognizable stars in the world of sport. But the biggest one will be on Saturday night against Floyd Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
During his storied career, the Filipino star has fought in some of the biggest bouts in the world, squaring off against the likes of Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto and four fights against Mexican warrior Juan Manuel Marquez.
However, it has been a difficult road to the top for Pacquiao who was born into poverty in the Philippines. The early part of his career was spent boxing in the Far East, before he was given a chance on the big stage in 2001 against Lehlo Ledwaba in an IBF world super-bantamweight title fight in Las Vegas.
1. Manny Pacquiao is pictured as a teenager in a boxing gym in Manila before he became a global superstar.
2. The Filipino boxer working out at the LM Gym in Manila, Philippines, as a 17-year-old before he fought his way to the top of the game.
3. Pacquiao has made a remarkable rise through the weight divisions from being an incredibly slight light-flyweight when he made his debut.
4. Pacquiao left home aged 14 to move to the Philippine capital Manila to pursue his career in the sport which has made him an icon.
Ever since taking the crown from the South African world champion 14 years ago, Pacquiao hasn’t looked back and is now set to take on Mayweather in what has widely been described as the Fight of the Century.
The future boxing legend left home at the tender age of 14 to move to the country’s capital Manila and pursue his boxing career. The rest is, of course, history. At 36 years of age, Pacquiao is now one of the biggest stars in the world.
Days before the big fight, incredible pictures have emerged of a young Pacquiao in a Manila boxing gym.
These astonishing images show Pacquiao training at the LM Gym in Manila in 1996 at the age of 17, right after he won his first 10 professional fights, all of which took place in 1995.
5. The 36-year-old spent his early career fighting in the Far East before being given his chance on the big stage in Las Vegas in 2001.
6. Pacquiao is pictured as a 17-year-old in the LM Gym in Manila when mega-fights, like the one against Floyd Mayweather, were just a dream.
7. Pacquiao has been involved in some of the biggest fights over the last decade but Saturday’s occasion will eclipse all of them.
8. The teenage version of Pacquiao, before he went on to become a world champion and achieve massive success on the world stage.
9. Pacquiao is arriving at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Monday night after a 270-mile bus journey from Los Angeles.
10. Pacquiao with his trainer Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in his final session before leaving Los Angeles.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.