A terrible tragedy in Belo Horizonte, south-eastern Brazil, left at least two people dead and 19 injured today, casting a shadow over the World Cup, even as the home team is playing its quarterfinal game against Colombia.
The deaths were the result of a collapse onto a busy road of an overpass built as part of the improvement of Brazil’s road system in the build-up for soccer’s premier event. Authorities in Belo Horizonte had reportedly rushed the project to get the road ready for the start of the World Cup.
According to the firefighters who came onto the scene of the incident, the Pedro I avenue overpass, which is close to the Mineirao football stadium, collapsed on top of a car, two trucks and a bus. Terrible, terrible tragedy… (Scroll down for the videos.)
1. An overpass built in a rush to get ready for the World Cup in Brazil has collapsed on a road.
2. Firefighters, the viaduct over the Pedro I avenue — close to the Mineirao football stadium — fell on top of a car, two trucks and a bus.
3. A car was completely flattened by the concrete structure and police fear more bodies could be trapped.
4. A helicopter inspected the site of collapsed flyover bridge in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
5. Police fear more bodies could be trapped underneath the collapsed structure.
6. According to witnesses, workmen were removing the iron structure surrounding the concrete viaduct when the road suddenly collapsed.
7. Estate agent Rogerio Alves, 37, said: ‘It was a terrifying thing. I still can’t believe what I saw’.
8. A car was completely flattened by the concrete structure┬áclose to the Mineirao football stadium.
9. The concrete overpass collapsed when it was being worked on, witnesses said.
10. The incident happened close to the Mineirao football stadium in Belo Horizonte that earlier this week played host to the round of 16 football match between Brazil and Chile.
And here are the videos:
Share this tragic incident with your friends below and let’s hope that those injured make a full recovery.