A woman in her late 50s, Maria-Louise Warne had been seeing her boyfriend Tim for four years when she showed up unannounced at his house, only to find “an attractive 20-something woman sitting brazenly at Tim’s kitchen table”, she writes in The Mail Online. What did she do? Well, she “sat down and tried to make polite conversation while they finished a bottle of wine”. Maria-Louise explains why she didn’t “react when the young woman, Lucy, brushed her hand up and down his arm”:
Why didn’t I react? The honest truth is that as a woman in my late 50s, I no longer feel I can. Desperate not to be alone, I have to accept a relationship on any terms offered to me. At my age, the brutal truth is that I feel I can’t afford to be choosy. It’s sad, but true.
But it got worse when Lucy, feeling tired, went upstairs. As Maria-Louise looked at Tim, her “heart breaking into a million little pieces”, her boyfriend said:
We’ll go upstairs, we’ll go to bed and we’ll invite her to join us.
Enough was enough, so the then 55-year-old woman replied that she wasn’t available for such “tawdry threesomes” and left. Yet, two years later, Maria-Louise and Tim are still together, but at a price: “I must allow him to sleep with whoever he likes whenever he likes”. What would you have done?
1. Maria-Louise accepts her 55-year-old lover’s infidelities.
2. Tim, pictured, said that he needed to be able to sleep with other women.
3. Maria-Louise met Tim while married to Carol, pictured on their 1995 wedding day.
4. In February 2008, after 24 years together, Carol, pictured, announced that he was leaving Maria-Louise.
5. Six months after they had sex, Maria-Louise discovered Tim had slept with someone else.
Read Maria-Louise’s full account of her here.
Share this woman’s story with your friends and tell us what you would have done in her place in the comments below.