Police in Roseville, Michigan, are searching for two men who left a dog chained up in the bitter cold behind a Wal-Mart store for so long that she chewed her own paw off in a desperate bid to escape. Roseville Police said that the two men were caught by security camera near to where the dog was found.
The two-year-old mixed-breed Pit Bull was found by a store employee who called the police and the dog was eventually taken into the Hopeful Heart Rescue organization. Named Courtney by her rescuers, the canine is expected to make full recovery.
Diana Rascano, president and co-founder of rescue charity 4 Paws 1 Heart, told the Detroit Free Press that the cold most likely helped numb the dog’s paw which allowed her to chew it off with less pain. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Courtney is pictured recovering at the Hopeful Hear Rescue center in Detroit. Her missing back right paw can be seen.
2. Courtney is pictured here shortly after her surgery to remove her back right paw – which she almost chewed off to escape from the cold outside a Wal-Mart.
Ms. Rascano said:
The vet said what saved her was the tourniquet that caused the blood flow to stop, and the subfreezing weather may have frozen some of the wound so that she didn’t bleed to death.
Though Courtney did not chew her whole paw off, the vet decided to amputate it completely anyway. Ms. Roscano explained to the Detroit Free Press:
They thought the toxins could have easily gotten into her blood system. They amputated it; it was just something we couldn’t wait for.
But once the surgery was over, they made a gruesome find. Ms. Rascano said:
They felt a lump in her stomach and saw there were shards of bones, which were her paw. She had not only chewed it but eaten it. They had to do surgery because the shards from the bone could have caused issues with her intestine.
Hopeful Heart Rescue will manage Courtney’s adoption.
3. The wire used to tie Courtney up with is visible in this grab from local news — and was taken by the shocked employee of Wal-Mart.
4. Courtney is now getting the love and attention she deserves and police are searching for the two men who left her for dead.
5. Though Courtney did not chew her whole paw off, the vet decided to amputate it completely anyway.
Here is the video report:
Source: Detroit Free Press.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.