Cissy the Schnauzer had never run away from home before, but this past Saturday the miniature dog from Iowa did just that, so she could find the person she loves.
The little canine disappeared from her yard in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, only to reappear about 20 blocks away at the Mercy Medical Center.
Cissy’s owner, Nancy Franck, has been treated at the hospital for the past two weeks, after undergoing surgery for ovarian cancer. However, it is a complete mystery how the canine managed to find her way back to her beloved “mom”. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Cissy the miniature schnauzer ran away from her Cedar Rapids home on Saturday, traveling about 20 blocks to the hospital where her owner was undergoing treatment for cancer.
2. CCTV footage from Mercy Medical Center show the moment Cissy entered the foyer.
Mercy Security Officer Samantha Conrad told KCRG:
‘We looked up and there was this dog just that was just running across the lobby.
We started looking at the tags and it had the address and we saw how far away this dog had lived, as far as going at least fifteen blocks to get here.
So it was quite an amazing journey that this dog made.
Conrad used the dog’s tags to notify Nancy’s husband, Dale Franck. Mr. Franck said his dog had been acting weird and he could tell that she was anxious to go somewhere.
Cissy had been missing for about four hours before the hospital called.
3. Security eventually spotted the dog walking up and down the halls.
4. The family have no idea how Cissy found her way to the hospital, or knew to go there at all.
Mr. Franck told KCRG:
She wanted to go see her mom. She was on a mission but she couldn’t find the right elevator to take.
Sarah Wood, the couple’s daughter, then went to the hospital to collect Cissy. Of course, she did take the dog up to see their mom. Mrs. Fanck said:
I said “did you sneak this dog in here?” She said “no, she sneaked herself in here, mom.”
5. Owner Nancy Franck was grateful for the surprise visit from her pet.
6. Cissy walked an estimated 20 blocks from her home on Washington Ave to Mercy Medical Center.
However, the family have been unable to figure out just how Cissy found her way. They say that the dog had never been to the hospital before. Mrs. Fanck said:
That was great just being able to see her.
That was perfect. I’m glad she thought of it.
7. Cissy had never ran away from home before.
8. After being missing about four hours, Cissy turned up at Mercy Medical Center on Saturday.
9. A dog travels 20 blocks alone to visit her owner in hospital — a KCRG report.
10. A miniature Schnauzer determined to find her owner walks right into Iowa hospital — a FOX4 report.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.