On Sunday, the British tabloid The Daily Express reported that feline sensation The Grumpy Cat had earned ┬ú64 million, or roughly $100 million, for her owner Tabatha Bundesen. However, Bundesen quickly disputed the figure, calling it “completely inaccurate”, though she declined to elaborate on her cat’s earnings.
Yet, Bundesen, from Morristown, Arizona, did tell The Daily Express that the two-year-old cat, who shot to fame two years ago in a YouTube video that has so far been viewed 16.6 million times, is “unstoppable”:
What she’s achieved in such a short time is unimaginable and absolutely mind-blowing. I was able to quit my job as a waitress within days of her first appearance on social media and the phone simply hasn’t stopped ringing since.
Grumpy Cat was born with dwarfism and an underbite, which gave her the characteristically disgruntled expression which made her famous. She currently has 521,000 followers on Instagram and 255,000 on Twitter and her face can be seen on calendars, mugs and T-shirts. Her first Hollywood film, Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever, was seen by millions of viewers and was the most tweeted about movie on its release date.
Moreover, if The Daily Express figure is correct, Grumpy’s reported earnings would eclipse those of Hollywood stars Nicole Kidman, Cameron Diaz and Matthew McConaughey. (Scroll down for the videos.)
1. Internet sensation Grumpy Cat has amassed a $100 million fortune — more than a host of A-listers.
2. Grumpy has a book deal and made her Hollywood debut last month in Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever.
3. She is owned by Tabatha Bundesen, who lives in Phoenix, and is a regular visitor at the offices of Vogue and Lucky magazine.
4. The two-year-old feline has inspired countless memes and has 521,000 followers on Instagram.
5. She even made an appearance onstage at FOX’s American Idol XIII and posed with Jennifer Lopez.
6. She shot to fame two years ago in a video that got more than 15.7 million views on YouTube.
7. Grumpy was born with dwarfism and an underbite, giving her a permanently disgruntled expression.
8. Her first book, Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book, was a guide to attaining ‘true grumpiness’ from the self-appointed ‘master of bad attitude’.
9. Aubrey Plaza (right) was the voice for Grumpy in her new film and appeared on NBC News with Natalie Morales.
10. Ms. Bundesen from Morristown, Arizona, said the two-year-old mixed breed moggy is ‘unstoppable’.
11. Her latest deal is for her own brand of iced coffee, Grumppuccino, which is sold in a number of stores.
12. Her follow-up book, The Grumpy Guide To Life: Observations By Grumpy Cat, advises that ‘It’s always good to have a partner in crime — you need someone to blame when people start asking questions’.
13. She has more than 255,000 followers on Twitter and her face appears on calendars, mugs and T-shirts.
14. Hundreds attended a Grumpy Cat book event at Barnes & Noble in New York earlier this year.
Here is The Original Grumpy Cat — the feline sensation’s first video:
And here is A Very Grumpy Christmas (From Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever Soundtrack):
Source: The Daily Express.
Share the controversy surrounding Grumpy Cat’s earnings with your friends and give us your thoughts in the comments below.