At a U.S. size ten, 27-year-old model Myla Dalbesio found herself in a kind of fashion limbo. While her size is considered too curvy compared to the standard sample size zero or two, plus-size is usually classified as size 12 and up. Well, she has now made history by landing a spot on Calvin Klein’ underwear campaign. In an interview with Elle, the 5ft 11in model from Wisconsin described how it felt to be “curvy” in the fashion industry:
It’s kind of confusing because I’m a bigger girl. I’m not the biggest girl on the market but I’m definitely bigger than all the girls [Calvin Klein] has ever worked with, so that is really intimidating.
Myla, who looks stunning in a black bra in her “Perfectly Fit” campaign shots, says the ad, in which she stands next to more “straight-sized” models like Jourdan Dunn, Ji Hye Park, Amanda Wellsh and Lara Stone, is revolutionary as it it doesn’t highlight the fact that she is the odd “plus-size” model in the group. She adds:
I’m not skinny enough to be with the skinny girls and I’m not large enough to be with the large girls, and I haven’t been able to find my place.
Which is why, Myla adds, “this [campaign] was such a great feeling”. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Model Myla Dalbesio, 27, who wears a U.S. size ten, has made history as one of the curviest woman ever to star in a Calvin Klein campaign.
2. Myla shows off her curves in a photo from her agency Jag Models.
Myla’s classification as “plus-size” has already generated plenty of outrage on Twitter. In a tweet directed at Elle, one user said:
Genuine WTF moment. This woman is described as “plus-size” and “a bigger girl”. Aaaraagahagaagahahagahahag
Another Twitter user commented:
I wouldn’t consider her a plus size model. Her height and her muscular tone should not categorize as a “big girl.”
Yet another asked simply:
How is that plus size??
3. ‘It’s kind of confusing because I’m a bigger girl,’ says Myla, who stands at 5ft 11in. ‘I’m not the biggest girl on the market but I’m definitely bigger than all the girls [Calvin Klein] has ever worked with’.
4. Some critics have taken to Twitter in outrage that she could even be considered a ‘bigger’ girl.
5. Also featured in the campaign is Amanda Wellsh.
6. Jourdan Dunn, who is also in the campaign, fits the standard sample size.
For her part, Myla says that landing the Calvin Klein campaign has made her hopeful that size is no longer such a big issue in the fashion industry. She explained:
It’s not like [Calvin Klein] released this campaign and were like, “Whoa, look, there’s this plus-size girl in our campaign.” They released me in this campaign with everyone else; there’s no distinction. It’s not a separate section for plus-size girls.
In a statement for The Daily Mail, Calvin Klein concurred:
The Perfectly Fit line was created to celebrate and cater to the needs of different women.
So it seems as though the fashion industry may be responding to the pressure it’s been under for quite some time.
7. Despite the controversy, Myla says landing the Calvin Klein campaign has made her hopeful that size is becoming less of an issue in the fashion industry.
And her is Myla Dalbesio speaking about battling her weight obsession:
Share this model’s success story with your friends and tell us what you make of her classification as “plus-size”.