The 1,000-pound woman, who was once named the “half-ton killer”, after she falsely confessed to accidentally killing her nephew, has lost an astonishing 800 lbs.
Texan Mayra Rosales, 34, explained that she had given up on life when she accepted her sister Jamie’s plea to take the blame for the death of her two-year-old nephew Eliseo in 2008.
Ms. Rosales told the police that she had smothered the boy when she rolled on top of him. However, her claim was later disproved when the autopsy showed that the child had died from multiple injuries to his skull. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Mayra Rosales lost 800lb with the help of 11 surgeries, including a lap band procedure and extra skin removal surgery, and changed way she thought about food.
2. Mayra, pictured at her heaviest weight of 1000 lbs in 2008 — a time when she said that she ‘had given up on life’.
When her sister Jamie finally confessed to committing the crime and was sentenced to 15 years in prison, Ms. Rosales vowed to lose weight and take care of her sister’s surviving children.
That was in 2011 and ever since, Mayra has been shedding hundreds of pounds. She has lost weight with the help of 11 surgeries, including a lap band surgery and procedures to remove her extra skin.
Ms. Rosales has also changed the way she thinks about food, she explained in an interview with ABC 13. She said:
Food to me is I have to eat to live. Before it was living to eat, and now you know, it’s just something normal.
3. After her trial, Rosales immediately began around the clock treatment with an obesity doctor and lost 100 pounds in her first 10 days.
4. Ms. Rosales was dubbed the ‘Half Ton Killer’ in 2008 after she falsely confessed to accidentally killing her nephew by rolling on him. Her story was disclaimed after the autopsy proved he died from multiple injuries to the skull.
Ms. Rosales’ surgeon Dr. Younan Nowzaradan, from Houston, said he could see that his patient was driven to make a change. He said:
Once you’re in bed for several years, she had no life. Once she get up and walk and do things, you’ll be amazed how motivated people become.
After the trial, Ms. Rosales started a round-the-clock treatment with Dr. Nowzaradan and lost 100 lbs in her first 10 days. She would have to lose another 500 lbs, just to get gastric bypass surgery.
Following the huge weight loss, Ms. Rosales’ health has drastically improved. She told ABC’s Nightline:
I’m not diabetic, I do not have high cholesterol, I do not have high blood pressure. Now I’m okay and my organs are perfect.
5. Half Ton Killer — documentary.
6. On her official Facebook page, which has over 18,000 followers, Rosales posted photographs with what appears to be a new boyfriend. She revealed on the page that she divorced her husband Bernie in 2013.
Ms. Rosales now has a sizable following on her Facebook page, with more than 20,000 likes, where she posts updates as her transformation continues.
A month ago, she posted about another skin removal surgery she had undergone, writing that “my leg looks normal like any other”, except for the scar running from the back of her knee to her ankle.
Ms. Rosales also invites fans who are struggling with their own weight to contact her if they’d like to receive health tips.
Mayra has revealed on Facebook that she and her husband Bernie, who was shown in her TLC documentary when she still weighed 1,000 lbs, had divorced in 2013, because he wanted to move back to Mexico and be with his family.
However, Ms. Rosales has recently shared pictures with her new boyfriend.
7. Rosales has seen a drastic improvement in her health as well. ‘I’m not diabetic, I do not have high cholesterol, I do not have high blood pressure,’ she said.
Ms. Rosales said that at the time of her nephew Eliseo’s death she was dying. She said:
I was alive but not living life.
She had watched her sister Jamie hit the boy with a hairbrush on his arm, legs and head. The two-year-old died later that day from his injuries.
Jamie begged Mayra to take the blame. Ms. Rosales told the court during her trial:
I thought I was dying anyway so I decided to admit that I’d done it to protect my sister because I love her.
8. Nutrition advice from Fabio | Half Ton Killer: Transformed.
Ms. Rosales’ trial became a media sensation, with cameras rolling as the 1,000-pound woman had to be cut out of her house and transported into a moving van to the court.
Mayra’s attorney bought a king-sized mattress so his client could live in the courtroom while the jury decided her fate.
Ms. Rosales later told ABC that she was willing to give up her life for her sister.
Instead, however, she ended up changing her own life. She is now in the process of getting custody of her sister’s surviving children, who Ms. Rosales said are excited just to see her walking again.
9. Woman known as ‘Half-Ton Killer’ shares weight loss journey.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.