Yes, that is precisely what 26-year-old Nicholas Wig did at the home of James Wood in South St. Paul, Minnesota, on June 19, after he stole cash, credit cards and a watch, CBS reported. Needless to say, that was a costly error.
Once he got home and having noticed the missing items, Mr. Wood saw a Facebook page opened on his computer which he didn’t recognize. He quickly realized the meaning of his discovery and shared a picture of the robber on his timeline.
Mr. Wood declared that Nicholas Wig was a thief, shared his phone number and asked for anyone with information to call him. And this is when something really weird happened — the robber himself texted him! Mr. Wood reply was:
You left a few things at my house last night, how can I get them back to you?
Incredibly, the robber then agreed to return to the house he burgled and pick up his things. You can guess what happened next — he got arrested and is facing up to 10 years in prison and $20,000 in fines if convicted. (Scroll down for the videos.)
1. World’s dumbest criminal? Police say 26-year-old Nicholas Wig checked his profile from a home he broke into, and then he didn’t log off.
2. Owner James Wood returned to his home in South St. Paul, Minnesota, and found it ransacked. But an all-important clue was waiting on his computer.
3. Nicholas Wig allegedly stole cash, credit cards and a watch from this address in St. Paul.
4. Mr. Wood said he came home to find someone had broken in via this window.
5. Wig has an extensive criminal record, including a second degree burglary conviction, a domestic assault misdemeanor and pending drug charges.
6. The 26-year-old is believed to be a father. Here he is seen is a selfie from his Facebook page, concealing his face with a bandanna.
7. Wood posted to Facebook using Wig’s profile, saying Wig had burglarized his home.
8. Homeowner James Wood said that if Wig didn’t leave his Facebook open, police would probably never have found him.
And here is the video:
Share the world’s dumbest criminal’s story with your friends below — they’ll get a laugh out of it.