This is just one of those stories you have really hard time believing. But happened it did and the upshot — the protagonist losing his fianc├⌐e — is very much a real-life fact.
So, Chris Kooluris is a 37-year-old New Yorker, who supports his gaming passion by working for a PR firm. Well, Mr. Kooluris told Wired that he decided to change the bedroom of his apartment after reading a book called Ready Player One. As he puts it:
It awoke a monster in me. I just had this revelation that, you know, why shouldn’t I — in this short time that we’re here — surround myself with the things I really enjoy?
Well, he did just that, spending over $32,000 to turn his bedroom into a 1980s-style arcade. Unfortunately for him, Mr. Kooluris’ unnamed fianc├⌐e wasn’t as understanding as he might have hoped and the two split up.
1. Chris Kooluris, pictured, turned his bedroom into an arcade — but lost his fianc├⌐e along the way.
2. Chris Kooluris transformed his bedroom into this 1980s-style arcade.
3. Mr. Kooluris’ space includes games like Street Fighter II and Ms. Pac-Man, seen left.
4. Also seen in the space of Mr. Kooluris’ collection of Transformers memorabilia.
5. Mr. Kooluris has said of the project ‘I think what happened is I just got so consumed by it all’.
6. The room includes mini versions of the playable games in the room — as well as an action figure of Wreck-It Ralph.
7. Also on-hand are candy vending machines.
8. Mr. Kooluris’ bedroom as it appeared before the project began.
9. Mr. Kooluris spent over $32,000 on redecorating.
Share this guy’s passion-gone-mad story with your friends below — some of them might use a cautionary tale.