A woman was badly beaten by her new husband on their wedding night because he wasn’t able to take her dress off.
Gavin Golightly failed to unfasten the wedding gown, lost his temper and slammed Amy Dawson to the floor. Then he punched her repeatedly.
Following the attack, which happened right after the newlyweds went up to their hotel room in the early hours after a fairytale wedding, Dawson was left with a cut eyebrow and bruises to her face and chest.
1. Amy Dawson (left, in her dress) was hurled to the floor and punched repeatedly by Gavin Golightly (right, leaving court).
2. Golightly lost his temper after failing to unfasten the wedding gown.
Golightly pleaded guilty to assaulting Dawson, but was spared jail and was given a two-year community service instead. Dawson, who has filed for divorce, said he should have received a tougher sentence.
An accountancy student, who has a child with Golightly, Dawson said after the hearing:
I thought I was going to die. He looked like he was going to kill me.
After the attack, he left the room and I tried to escape, but he came back in and continued to beat me.
Eventually, I escaped and found a hotel porter, who called the police. It was such a lovely day, and I was devastated it ended the way it did.
3. The 22-year-old accountancy student said she thought her new husband was ‘going to kill’ her when he launched the violent attack after their wedding reception in August.
The British couple tied the knot last August at St. Mary’s church in West Rainton, County Durham, before moving on to Beamish Hall hotel for their reception.
Prosecutor Sarah Traynor told Peterlee Magistrates Court that the newlyweds went up to their hotel room just after midnight, with Dawson having to be helped by a hotel porter. She said:
The defendant then tried to undo Miss Dawson’s dress. The bride had a crochet hook to unfasten the buttons but Golightly refused to use it.
The defendant then jumped up from his chair, approached Miss Dawson and pushed her over.
He then sat on top of her and started punching her with clenched fists.
4. Gavin Golighty attacked his beautiful bride just hours after taking his vows.
5. Dawson has filed for divorce from the tattoo artist. He was given a community service order for the attack which, she said, was too soft.
Golightly claimed that he had been drugged and could not remember the incident.
However, he pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm and was handed a community order which requires him to undergo supervision for two years.
Golightly was also given a restraining order banning him from contacting Dawson and was told to pay her ┬ú200 ($310) in compensation, ┬ú85 ($130) costs and a ┬ú60 ($92) victim surcharge.
The community order was far too soft. The restraining order is the only thing keeping me strong. He means nothing to me now.
6. The couple tied the knot at St Mary’s church in West Rainton, County Durham, last August before moving on to Beamish Hall hotel (above) for their reception.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.