Reddit user Nothingbutfreewill has shared an awesome set of images with us. The title sets it all up nicely: Hospital food around the world. This is so interesting.
Whereas in Germany you would get a schnitzel, a dumpling noodle dish called sp├ñtzle, salad and cake, in Australia you could get a lamb tagine with sandwiches, broccoli, corn, fruit and bread.
In Britain we see a minestrone soup, beef and onion pie, steamed vegetables and a banana.
But the Polish dish is extraordinary. It features a piece of bread with butter, pickle and sausage, but you have to see it to get a full sense of what it is.
Now, I’m sure that these dishes are not fully representative for the hospital cuisines in these 17 places, as many commenters have noted, but this is surely a big part of it.
1. Germany: Schnitzel, a dumpling noodle dish called sp├ñtzle, salad and cake.
2. Tokyo, Japan: Pickles, miso soup, rice and what appears to be chicken.
3. Estonia: Mashed potatoes, meat and cabbage stew, vegetables, milk and a pastry.
4. Malvern, Australia: Lamb tagine with sandwiches, broccoli, corn, fruit and bread.
5. Britain: Minestrone soup, beef and onion pie, steamed vegetables and a banana.
6. Jakarta, Indonesia: Noodles, chicken, eggs, broth and rice porridge, to be mixed together to make a soup.
7. Dubai, UAE: Spaghetti, side salad, bread, vegetables and cake.
8. Poland: A measley piece of bread with butter, pickle and sausage.
9. Norway: Untoasted bread, salad and what looks like a plain burger.
10. Japan: A bento box filled with fresh vegetables, meat, fish, noodles and tempura.
11. Richmond, Canada: Sweet and sour pork, bok choy, white rice and a side of honeydew melon.
12. New York: Salmon patties with saffron cream sauce, rice, pumpkin, asparagus and banana cake.
13. China: Rice and a selection of curries.
14. Malaysia: Fried chicken and noodles.
15. Sydney, Australia: Pumpkin soup, apricot chicken, peas and mashed potato.
16. Massachusetts, USA: Salad, chicken soup with crackers.
17. Paris, France: Smoked salmon salad, chicken and courgette, baguette and a slice of pie.
Share these hospital dishes with your friends below and see what their experiences have been.