A Ferguson police officer couldn’t take his city’s destruction any longer and told a protester to stop rioting because he has known him since he was “this big”, in a charged exchange during the height of the riots.
Police Officer Greg Casem yelled at the twenty-something man to stop destroying the community they both grew up in. He said:
I’ve known you for a long time bro… Twenty-five years I’ve been here. Twenty-five years!
The incredible moment was captured in photographs that have just come to light and are giving us an insight into how difficult it has been for Ferguson’s police to watch their own city burn. The photos were taken on the second night of rioting, after a grand jury did not indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.
Immediately after rioters burned more than a dozen buildings in the city’s historic downtown street, Officer Casem got into a heated row with the protester who is captured on the photo, as he pointed to the carnage in front of him.
1. Offcer Greg Casem comes close to cracking during the riots as he comes face-to-face with a demonstrator whom he had known since childhood.
2. ‘You’re killing us! We’re not killing y’all, so stop killing us!’ the 20-something protesters shouted. Officer Casem said: ‘I’ve known you for a long time bro. A long time. Since you were this big [moving hand to waist height]’.
3. The confrontation shows the toll on officers of the riots in a community where some have served for many years.
4. ‘Twenty five years I’ve been here. Twenty five years!’ the officer said as he came close to tears.
Casem yelled at the protester:
Look at that, look at that!
The protester screamed in his face:
How you gonna help? How you gonna help?
Officer Casem replied:
How are these families gonna eat? How are they gonna get their diapers?
The protester shouted back:
You’re killing us! We’re not killing y’all, so stop killing us!
Officer Casem said:
I’ve known you for a long time bro. A long time. Since you were this big (moving hand to waist height).
Officer Casem became emotional, as he said “Twenty five years I’ve been here. Twenty five years!”
5. Officer Casem, who was not wearing full protective gear, has served in Ferguson for 25 years.
6. The confrontation was the night after these scenes of destruction in the suburb of St Louis, Missouri, which came after the acquittal of Darren Wilson over the killing of Michael Brown.
7. Businesses in the town were badly hit, including this beauty outlet in a strip mall. Officer Casem was upset at the impact on the community of the riots and how it would struggle to rebuild.
8. This was one of the businesses set on fire by looters and rioters in Ferguson after the grand jury cleared officer Wilson.
9. The suburb is now having to rebuild after the orgy of destruction which hit it.
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share this police officer’s emotional reaction to his city’s destruction with your friends and tell us what you make of the confrontation in the comments below.