Actors were once strapping hunks who towered above lesser mortals and had their suits specially tailored for them because they were such brawny specimens.
That’s how things were when the likes of Sean Connery (6ft 2in), Gary Cooper (6ft 3in), John Wayne (6ft 4in) and Clint Eastwood (6ft 4in) were in their prime, The Daily Mail reminds us.
These were big men playing big characters, often riding huge horses or fighting it out against equally bulky opponents. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. The silver screen giants…
2. … And the modern day midgets.
Now compare the stars of yesteryear with their counterparts today, as represented at the latest Oscars ceremony, when Eddie Redmayne won the Best Actor category for his performance as Stephen Hawking in The Theory Of Everything.
Once people sitting near him jumped to their feet to congratulate the actor, little Eddie was suddenly dwarfed. Actress Cate Blanchett towered over him and yet Redmayne, at 5ft 10in, turns out to be one of the taller modern male stars.
Westerns have long been out of favor and more generally, movies these days are less likely to feature the kind of bar brawls, tough-guy fights requiring muscle. Today’s leading man is more likely to be required to burst into tears and go shopping.
3. Today’s stars such as Eddie Redmayne, left, at 5 foot 10 and Martin Freeman, right, at five foot six, are smaller than the giants of the silver screen.
4. Arnold Schwarzenegger once claimed to be 6 foot 2, but there are now reports he is just 5 foot 11. Even little Lewis Hamilton remarked he thought Arnie would be taller when he presented him with last Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix trophy.
Veteran Dustin Hoffman is 5ft 5in, Martin Freeman (hobbit Bilbo Baggins) is 5ft 6in, Daniel “Harry Potter” Radcliffe stands at 5ft 5in and Tom Cruise at 5ft 7in.
On the taller side, we have today’s James Bond, Daniel Craig, and Brad Pitt, both standing at 5ft 10in.
Sylvester Stallone is just 5ft 9in — about the circumference of his bicep.
And what about Arnold Schwarzenegger? At first he claimed to be 6ft 2in, then it dropped to 6ft 1in, but some reports put him at 5ft 11in. And when Arnie presented little Lewis Hamilton with the winner’s trophy at last Sunday’s Australian Formula One Grand Prix, the driver joked: “Wow… I thought you were taller!”
5. Schwarzenegger is dwarfed by Klitschko at a conference in Munich last month.
6. Tom Cruise at 5 foot 7, left, had to stand on a platform to bring up to camera height, while Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe stands at just 5 foot 5.
7. A modern day midget? Daniel Radcliffe stands at just 5 foot 5.
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.