Arnold Abbott, the 90-year-old charity worker who was arrested on Tuesday night, along with two ministers, for feeding the homeless in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, was arrested again on Wednesday and fingerprinted by the police. A new city ordinance now makes this illegal in the city. Undeterred by his arrest on Tuesday night, Mr. Abbott went right back at it, feeding the city’s homeless on Wednesday. This time the police waited for him to finish his work before arresting him. Fort Lauderdale’s mayor, Jack Seiler, showed nothing but contempt for the altruistic old man, telling Local 10 TV:
Mr. Abbott has decided that he doesn’t think these individuals should have to have any interaction with government, that they should be fed in the parks. We disagree.
The mayor added:
The experts have all said if you are going to simply feed them outdoors, to get them for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, all you are doing is enabling the cycle of homelessness. They don’t receive the aid and the assistance they need to receive.
So it’s fair to say that the mayor is not backing down from his law. (Scroll down for the video report.)
1. Arnold Abbott (below) has prepared hundreds of meals a week for homeless people in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, since 1990.
2. A new ordinance in the city now makes this illegal, and Abbot was arrested on Tuesday and Wednesday (below) by police.
3. Abbott believes if he does not continue his work homeless people will be forced to steal or dumpster dive.
Asked if he will go back to the beach to feed the homeless, Mr. Abbott replied:
You bet your life. I’m going back to the beach as long as there is a breath in my body.
So, there you have it. It would be interesting to see just how far the City of Fort Lauderdale will go here and whether or not Mr. Abbott will actually end up going to jail.
4. Abbott says he received calls from all over the world on Wednesday supporting him.
5. In addition to Abbott, police arrested two local ministers for feeding the homeless on Tuesday.
6. Now, Abbott is facing two $500 fines and up to four months in prison.
7. Mayor Jack Seiler even came out against Abbott’s charity work, saying he ‘disagrees’ with what he is doing.
Here is the video report:
And here is the footage of the first arrest:
Source: Local 10 TV.
Share this increasingly bizarre story with your friends and tell us what you make of the latest developments in the comments below.