“I want moms to know that they can study and also be a mom. They don’t have to give up either of them.” That is the message 24-year-old Jacci Sharkey has for women in her native Australia and elsewhere. To drive it home, Ms. Sharkey has shared a photo of herself breastfeeding her baby on her graduation day and the picture has promptly gone viral. The photo was posted on Facebook by The University of the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane, on Monday afternoon and has since gained more than 90,000 likes and 2,500 shares. A spokesperson for the university wrote along posting the photo from Ms. Sharkey:
From her recent graduation, this amazing photo and message was sent to us by inspiring mum Jacci Sharkey.
A mother-of-two, Jacci graduated with a Bachelor of Business, Human Resources Management and Marketing. She wrote:
Just wanted to share a photo from the most recent graduation that I am proud of. I’m extremely proud that with the support of the uni, during my degree I was able to have 2 babies and still finish my degree. Thanks USC!
Ms. Sharkey added that she wanted her photo to encourage other mothers to pursue their studies.
1. The photo of mom Jacci Sharkey was posted on Facebook by the University of the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane, on Monday.
2. An image of a mum breastfeeding her baby on her graduation day has gone viral as she thanked her university for their support during her studies.
3. ‘But the meaning behind the photo isn’t about me breastfeeding, it’s about supporting mums,’ said Ms. Sharkey.
Ms. Sharkey told The Mail Online:
It’s a great message and I wanted to get it out there. I want mums to know that they can study and also be a mum. They don’t have to give up either of them.
I’m not going to hide something that’s been done for centuries. But the meaning behind the photo isn’t about me breastfeeding, it’s about supporting mums.
4. Jacci Sharkey (pictured right) in a family photo before she had the baby.
5. Ms. Sharkey’s two kids.
Many people have commented in support of the proud mother. One wrote:
What a beautiful photo such admiration for the mums who tackled parenthood and their degree.
Another, also a mother, commented:
That’s awesome, I have 4 children I had last one whilst studying at USC and was supported and able to continue studying whilst breastfeeding and bringing my son to some classes. Best uni! Studying and having a family is possible!
Most other commenters were also supportive.
6. Jacci Sharkey (pictured right) said she shared the photo to encourage other moms to pursue their studies.
7. Jacci Sharkey says ‘it was a a nice moment’ when she breastfed her child just before heading into the graduation ceremony on October 2.
Share this woman’s inspirational message with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below.