King Leo weighed an astonishing 30 lbs and had matted fur when he was found thrown out by the side of the road in Nashville, Tennessee. As fortune would have it, the suffering feline was heard meowing inside a carrier case by a driver who had pulled over to replace a flat tire.
The ten-year-old Maine Coon cat was then rescued by the driver and taken to Metro Animal Care and Control, and from there to Cat Shoppe Rescue. Then Leo’s matted fur was shaved and and he embarked on a strict weight loss regime.
The tangled fur had severely hampered Leo’s ability to move, with the mats on his belly preventing him from extending his hind legs. Part of the big cat’s slimming routine features the water treadmill, which many cats have trouble with. The good news is that King Leo has just went on with it. The bulky feline has quickly become a huge favorite with volunteers and staff at the Animalia Health and Wellness. After caring for him, veterinary technician LaTisha Lampley has now chosen to adopt King Leo. She said:
He is the biggest cat of his size frame with that much weight on him that I’ve seen. King Leo is a wonderful, fun loving cat — he is ready to play, and loves to roll over and have his belly rubbed.
Such a heartwarming story… (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Leo weighed a staggering 30lb when he was found abandoned on the side of the road in Nashville, Tennessee.
2. Part of Leo’s slimming plan involves pounding the water treadmill — a treatment many cats would find daunting.
3. The thick and tangled fur had been severely restricting Leo’s ability to move or extend his back legs.
4. Leo is now settled with his new family who are devoted to helping the cat reach a healthy weight.
5. Leo has found a forever home with a vet technician who had been caring for him at Animalia animal center.
6. LaTisha describes Leo as a wonderful, fun-loving cat who is always ready to play or have a tummy rub.
7. King Leo has had no problem getting his paws wet while exercising on the water treadmill.
8. Leo’s severely matted fur on arrival at the center meant that he had had to have over 2lbs of the stuff shaved.
9. A note found inside Leo’s carrier revealed that the cat had been abandoned at least once before, when his first owners handed him over to a new family.
10. LaTisha has been impressed with her new pet’s progress in his physical therapy sessions and hopes it won’t be long until her portly pet reaches a healthy weight.
And here is the video:
Share King Leo’s story with your friends below — they will want to see it.