A direct comparison between the successes of old and new blockbusters like is very difficult, not least because there are many more people living today, with a much easier access to watching movies, in all kinds of formats, and the dollar they pay for their movies today is not what it was three-quarters of a century ago. Yet, by many measures, Gone with the Wind is the most successful movie ever made.
To celebrate the film’s seventy-fifth anniversary, a new book, titled The Making of Gone with the Wind will be published in September. Its author — Steve Wilson — has included in the book some amazing black and white photographs, which offer film lovers a behind-the-scenes look at the famous 1939 movie.
The film’s stars — including Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O’Hara, Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, Leslie Howard as Ashley Wilkes, Olivia de Havilland as her Melanie Hamilton, and Hattie McDaniel as Mammy — are all seen on the movie set and in in-between images. Here is a selection of the photos. Enjoy!
1. Vivien Leigh, who played Scarlett O’Hara, is seen here testing out tear stains.
2. Hattie McDaniel is seen next to Leigh during the scene in which Scarlett tears down curtains to make a dress.
3. Monte Westwore applies makeup to Leslie Howard, who plays Ashley Wilkes, before a shoot.
4. Gable and Leigh are seated in a carriage during filming.
5. The film crew is seen filming ‘the cotton field scene’.
6. Extras are seen gathered on the steps of a set for Gone with the Wind.
7. The crew films a scene where Scarlett, played by Vivien Leigh, helps in a Confederate hospital.
8. The crew prepares to film a scene.
9. The scene where Atlanta burns was filmed in a little over an hour.
10. Director Victor Fleming is seen with Vivien Leigh while shooting the barbecue at Twelve Oaks.
11. A Birmingham club volunteered to host a contest to find African-American actors for Gone with the Wind, but that was turned down by Kay Brown.
12. Director Victor Fleming (center) directs a scene between Scarlett and her father Gerald.
13. Crews film a sequence meant to take place at Twelve Oaks, the Wilkes family plantation.
14. Extras sit on the floor during a shooting break.
15. Olivia de Havilland is seen with Hattie McDaniel in the film.
16. Vivien Leigh is seen seated next to leading man Clark Gable as Rhett Butler.
17. Vivien Leigh checks her makeup before a scene set at Twelve Oaks.
18. Pictured is a movie poster for the original 1939 release of Gone with the Wind.
Share these fascinating Gone with the Wind images with your friends below — they will love them.