Born in the Wild is a new reality show, which will follow pregnant women who shun not only the hospitals, but all other roofed buildings to give birth out in the open. The show has been inspired by a YouTube video that went viral and has racked up more than 20 million views and counting.
Needless to say, such an approach to giving birth has attracted plenty of criticism, with some critics fearing that it might give rise to a trend which will endanger both mothers and their babies. To that, the show’s producers respond that:
We’re taking extreme precautions to make sure the mothers and the babies are safe. Our presence at these births is going to make them far safer than if they were doing it on their own.
That is unlikely to reassure the critics, but then the show could always use some extra publicity, be it positive or negative, right?
1. Lifetime has announced they’ll air a show that follows parents who decide to give birth in nature with no doctors.
2. The show was inspired by this woman’s video, which showed her giving birth in a creek bed and has racked up 20 million views since February.
3. Critics fear the show will encourage parents to endanger their children but producers say only a small subset of people would ever choose to participate in such a birth.
4. “We’re taking extreme precautions to make sure the mothers and the babies are safe”, the show’s producers reassure their critics.
5. This woman was filmed giving birth in the aforementioned video.
And here is the aforementioned video:
Share this controversial project with your friends below and see what they make of it.