A group of tourists got more fun than what they had paid for when they went on a leisurely boat ride in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. To everyone’s surprise and delight, a sea lion started chasing down the boat, even as it was moving at 25mph in the Pacific Ocean.
Incredibly, she managed to catch up with the boat and even to jump on board, aided by one of the skippers, who opened the back of the boat.
If anyone of the tourist party had wondered why the mammal would bother to expend all this energy to chase down a boat, her intentions now became clear. And no, the lioness wasn’t making a social call — humans aren’t really all that interesting.
No, it turned out that the lioness had something much more nutritious in mind and the boat’s skipper knew exactly what it was. Once he threw a nice big fish at her, the delighted mammal headed back into the ocean.
It is not known whether this particular sea lion is the legendary Pepe, who is famous for chasing boats about and snatching fishes, but whoever it is, she is very well fed right now. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. A sea lion began following a boat going 25mph in Cab San Lucas, Mexico.
2. The skipper opened up the back of the boat after he noticed the lion keeping up with the boat.
3. The lion then hopped on-board and joined the delighted tourists.
4. It was not a social call however, as the sea lion was actually looking for some of the fish he saw on the boat.
5. The lion looks delighted after being tossed a fish.
6. Having been fed and no doubt exhausted from following the boat, the lion leaves to go eat.
And here is the video:
Share this sea lion’s hard-won catch with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below.