A single father from Wichita, Kansas, Brian Maixner has struggled with dental issues since he was a boy, after the breaking one of his front teeth led to a series of infections from which he was never able to completely recover. But that is all now history.
Fred Boettcher, an attorney from Oklahoma, was in Wichita to catch up with his daughter and the two were having lunch at the Doo-Dah Diner, where Maixner works.
Once he saw Maixner’s smile, Boettcher decided he wanted to help the man, who was until then a complete stranger. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Waiter Brian Maixner has suffered severe dental decay across his mouth since he was a child, but could not afford to have it fixed.
2. Maixner, a single father, said his dental problems started when he chipped a front tooth at a child, leading to a variety of other issues he hasn’t been able to afford to get fixed.
Boettcher told KWCH 12:
I took one look at this young man and knew he was something special
He carried himself with such kindness and confidence with a mouth that looked painful. I was struck by that.
Boettcher spoke with Maixner’s manager and told her that he was leaving behind a $25,000 tip to help the man get a new set of teeth.
3. Last week, Maixner underwent a number of procedures and now has a whole new set of teeth, thanks to the generosity of a random customer.
4. ‘This has been a complete life changer,’ Brian Maixner said of his new teeth.
Revealing that he burst into tears when his manager told him the news, Maixner said:
This man doesn’t know me and this is something I could never afford to do for myself.
It touched me so much that he cared.
But the incredibly generous gesture was no surprise to Boettcher’s daughter Meredith Boettcher Young. She said:
Dad gives so much, I remember him buying groceries for people in need when we were growing up.
5. Fred Boettcher was visiting his daughter Meredith (pictured together) in Wichita when he noticed Maixner and decided he wanted to help.
6. Brian Maixner had always been self-conscious of his smile, growing up with teeth problems that had lasted well into adulthood, but that has changed thanks to customer Fred Boettcher (left).
Since then, Maixner has gone through a number of dental procedures which have given him a complete new set of top front teeth.
The new teeth have changed his life, Maixner says, with friends, family and regular customers stunned by the difference it has made.
Yet, no one seems to be happier with the transformation than the person who made it all possible — Boettcher. He said:
No matter what religion you might be or whether you even believe in an after life the way to be satisfied in your life is to be kind to everybody and be as generous as you possibly can be.
As happy as that fella may be, it feels so much better to be able to put a smile on his face.
Yes, it does!
7. After years of painful dental problems, Brian Maixner got thousands of dollars of work done on his teeth — all without paying a penny, thanks to a generous diner who wanted to help.
Source: KWCH 12.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.