Despite her seemingly irresistible appearance, Rieke the one-month-old baby orangutan was cruelly rejected by her mother right after being born.
The impossibly cute baby ape is now on her way to Britain where she will be re-homed at a rescue center.
The baby orangutan was born on January 12 at the Berlin Zoo, but immediately afterward keepers realized that Rieke was not being accepted by her mom, the 11-year-old Djasinga. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Rieke the cute the baby orangutan is set to move in to the Monkey World Ape Rescue Center in Dorset.
2. Rieke the one-month-old orangutan is moving to a new home.
To make certain that Rieke has an upbringing as natural as possible, the baby is being transported to the U.K. where she will live at the Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre in Dorset.
The orangutan’s keeper Ruben Gralki, said:
We did everything we could to try and encourage a relationship between the two but several hours after birth it was decided that the baby would be separated from its mother and bottle fed.
Despite Rieke’s unfortunate relationship with her mother, the baby seems to be doing fine and has become a huge hit in German social media.
3. The charming baby monkey was born in Berlin Zoo on on January 12.
4. The baby weighed a tiny 4 lbs, normally regarded as small for an orangutan but nevertheless the infant is healthy and strong.
One fan — Anke Angelka — summarized the collective mood when she wrote:
This little girl is sugar-rush cute!
Another one simply said:
I. wanna. have. it.
At present Rieke is being cared for by three keepers who feed her with bottles. Once Rieke she arrives in Dorset, she will have as a friend five-month old Sumatra orangutan, Bulu Mata. Ruben Gralki, one of her zoo carers, said:
It will be very difficult to give Rieke up after all of our teamwork, but this is the best place for the little orangutan girl. We are definitely going to miss her all the same.
5. After her birth, it became clear to keepers that the little one was not being accepted by her mother, the 11-year-old Djasinga.
6. The baby orangutan is already popular with Germans after Berlin Zoo released pictures of the adorable new arrival.
At birth, Rieke weighed 4 lbs, typically considered small for an orangutan but nevertheless the baby is healthy and strong. She was 11-year-old mother Djasinga’s first baby and unfortunately she failed to bond with the newborn.
An exact date for Rieke’s move is yet to be determined, but as soon as the paperwork for the baby’s move to England is cleared, the details will be worked out.
Officials also said that Rieke will most likely be transported by car.
7. An exact date for her move has yet to be determined, but as soon as the paperwork for Rieke’s move to England is cleared, the logistics will be worked out.
8. Once in Dorset Rieke will have a friend in the five-month old Sumatra orangutan, Bulu Mata.
9. Baby orangutan Rieke presented at Berlin Zoo.
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.