Viral Spell’s Saturday’s Cutest gives you Obie the Dachshund who used to weigh 77 lbs, but a strict regime and a bit of a tummy tuck helped him get back in shape!
Just over three years ago, Obie tipped the scales at 77 lbs and was forced to wear a special harness to avoid injuring his bulging belly.
But after being adopted by the former veterinary technician Nora Vanatta in August 2012, Obie was put on a strict diet and exercise. (Scroll down for the video reports.)
After a lot of hard work and a surgery to remove the excess skin after the weight loss, the seven-year-old Dachshund now weighs a healthy 23 lbs. Ms. Vanatta, from Portland, Oregon, said:
I feel blessed to be involved in Obie’s rehab and hope he can be an inspiration to any person or animal trying to lose weight. It is so important to introduce pups and kids to a healthy lifestyle and food choices as early as possible.
The average Dachshund weighs 22 lbs, so at 77 lbs, the then-five-year-old Obie was more than three times that and was dubbed the World’s Fattest Sausage Dog.
He became obese Before when the elderly couple who cared for him before he was adopted by Ms. Vanatta fed him whatever he wanted and wouldn’t give him the exercise needed due to their ill health.
1. Obie’s story went viral last year when social media was flooded with pictures of the grossly obese and miserable-looking dachshund. At his heaviest, he tipped the scales at 77 lbs.
2. After some hard work and surgery to remove excess skin, the seven-year-old now weighs a healthy 23 lbs. Pictured, his calendar page for September.
3. Obie, pictured in his January calendar page, achieved his new look by following a strict diet.
4. Obie’s incredible transformation from obese Dachshund to a fit and healthy dog is charted in a 2015 calendar.
Ms. Vanatta, who holds a degree in Animal Science, said:
He was obviously loved and his elderly owners just couldn’t say no to those big brown eyes. I was thrilled to be able to help him with his new life.
Now I want his journey to inspire other big animals and maybe even their owners to get healthy in the new year.
After she adopted Obie, Ms. Vanatta put him on a strict diet to lose some of his extra weight, before having him walk on a treadmill and taking him for a swim. Once he lost 40 lbs, Obie needed to undergo a cosmetic surgery to remove several pounds of excess skin.
5. Obie was so obese he needed a special harness to prevent his belly from rubbing against the floor.
6. His extreme weight gain came after he was cared for by an elderly couple who fed him excessively and were unable to exercise him.
7. Dachshunds normally weigh 22 lbs, but at 77 lbs, a five-year-old Obie weighed more than three times that.
8. Out for walkies in his purple jacket — Obie’s rolls of neck fat can be seen squashed up beneath his chin.
9. Feed me, rather than throw me a bone, please! Fetch was never Obie’s favorite pastime as an obese dog.
10. His new owner says she wants ‘his journey to inspire other big animals and maybe even their owners to get healthy’.
11. Ms. Vanatta, who has a degree in Animal Science, said Obie ‘was obviously loved’ by his former owners.
12. Exercise for Obie, pictured in his June calendar page, included walks on a treadmill and swimming.
13. After he lost 40 lbs, Obie needed cosmetic surgery to remove several pounds of excess skin.
14. Obie’s inspirational weight loss calendar.
15. Obie, pictured in the April page, became overweight after his old owners ‘couldn’t say no to those big brown eyes’.
16. The calendar features a cameo from Obie’s friends in a beach shot for the July page.
And here is the video report:
This is how Obie looked when Nora Vanatta got him:
Share Obie’s incredible transformation with your friends and tell us what you make of it in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see this story, too.