Brutally attacked by two Pit Bulls in a store parking lot in Washington state on Friday, this woman is lucky to be alive.
Donna Berto, 67, was only saved when a man who ran to her aid fired several shots of his gun to scare the canines off, after unsuccessfully trying to separate them from the victim.
The attack took place in Tacoma, Washington, outside a North Point Smoke Shop and according to reports, the Pit Bulls seem to have been trained to fight. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Donna Berto, 67, was going to get a soda when she was attacked by two Pit Bulls on Friday.
2. Berto said she initially thought the dogs were harmless and were just running up to her but then they started biting.
Berto was walking toward the store to buy a soda when the Pit Bulls attacked her. Speaking to The Seattle PI, she said:
All of a sudden I looked up, and these dogs were running at me, and they pounced on me, and dug me to the ground.
Everything happened so quickly, I don’t know how long I was laying there, but it seemed like a long time.
I could feel it munching on me. All I could think was, you know, I was just trying to protect myself.
And hoping to God somebody was gonna pull one of these animals off of me before they just totally destroyed me, you know.
3. Police suspect that the dogs, seen here on security footage before the attack, were trained to fight.
4. Both dogs ran off following the attack, and police are now trying to find them both and their owner.
Four people rushed out of the store to help the victim and one of them was also bitten.
One man eventually grabbed his gun and fired several shots in the air, causing the dogs to flee.
Berto suffered severe wounds to her head, arms and legs and was rushed to the hospital. Her son, Michael Stath, told Q13 Fox that she came close to death. He said:
An inch one way, her eye would be gone. An inch another way, her throat would be gone.
5. Donna Berto was rushed to Tacoma General Hospital following the attack. She was discharged on Sunday night.
6. Berto is now recovering from her injuries, as police are looking for the dogs that mauled her.
Stath added that, judging by the extent of his mother’s injuries and the security footage of the attack, the Pit Bulls seem to have been trained to fight. He said:
The dogs themselves, I don’t think it’s their fault. I think it’s the fault of the owner.
I want to get the dogs found, they need to be either euthanized or caged so they can’t hurt anybody else.
Puyallup Police are investigating the incident.
7. A woman is attacked by two Pit Bulls in Washington state.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.