A miniature horse who suffers from dwarfism has become an internet sensation after his owner posted a video of him on his very own Facebook page.
Shammy is just over 20 inches tall — a third of the size of an average horse — but his lively personality more than makes up for what he lacks in stature. In fact, the five-month-old tiny horse has a 5,000-strong Facebook following and his owner, Michele Puryear, has already written a book about him. Ms. Puryear told The Daily Mail:
He truly is a one in a million, dwarf horses are always very loveable and mischievous but Shammy is more affectionate than most. He is almost like a dog, he would rather be with me than with a herd of horses or even with his mama sometimes. He follows me around and runs in and out of the horse trailer — if he can find something to get into, he’s going to get in to it.
When I’m here I can just spend my time sitting on the ground with him and he’ll stay with me until I make him get up — he just loves attention. A lot of the time when I come home and get out of the car, he is stood there waiting at the gate and I have to stop what I’m doing and love him for a little while — he just can’t resist.
Unfortunately Shammy’s dwarfism will unavoidably cause problems later on in life, such as arthritis and heart issues. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Shammy, who suffers from a rare form of dwarfish, has become and internet stardom after his owner set him up a Facebook page and posted a video of him.
2. Shammy’s owner, Michele Puryear, crouches next to him, as a full-size stead dwarfs them both.
3. Ms. Puryear looks rapturous as she snuggles into a content looking Shammy on their couch.
4. Shammy’s antics inspired Ms. Puryear to write a book about his adventures.
Ms. Puryear understands that Shammy’s future will not be like that of a typical horse. She says:
He won’t ever be like the other horses, but I want him to be pain-free. That’s my hope for Shammy.
At any time he could lay down in his sleep and pass. So I try to treasure every moment, every spare moment I have I come and spend a few moments with him.
Let’s hope that these moments will last for a long time to come.
5. Ms. Puryear said: ‘When I’m here I can just spend my time sitting on the ground with him and he’ll stay with me until I make him get up — he just loves attention.’
6. Shammy wears a peaked cap as a fan leans in to pat his face.
7. Shammy is said to be mischievous, ‘If he can find something to get into, he’s going to get in to it’.
8. Shammy’s owner normally breeds horses to sell but said she just ‘couldn’t with Shammy’.
9. Because of Shammy’s condition he is likely to develop arthritis and heart problems.
And here is the video that made Shammy famous:
Share Shammy’ awesome personality with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below.