Juanita Valentina Hernandez is only ten months old, but she weighs more than twice the 19-pound average for a baby her age and is already the same weight as the average five-year-old child.
The baby was born weighing a normal 6 lbs, but she quickly began to expand in size just weeks later. She now weighs in at 44 lbs and doctors are performing tests to determine the cause of her incredible weight gain.
Tam Fry, Patron of the Child Growth Foundation, told The Daily Mail:
Weight can vary with ethnicity, but regardless of that, this child is vastly, vastly overweight. It is tragic.
Juanita’s mother, Sandra Franco, from Libano, Colombia, is greatly worried with her daughter’s condition and said that she has no idea what has caused her baby to balloon in size. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Ten-month-old Juanita Valentina Hernandez weighs 44 lbs — the same as an average five-year-old.
2. While the youngster weighed just 6lb when she was born, she began to expand rapidly in size just weeks later. The average 10-month-old baby should weigh 19 lbs.
3. Juanita’s mother says she has no idea what caused her daughter to balloon in size. ‘She was born very thin… now she is 10 months I have realized she is morbidly obese’.
Mrs. Franco said:
When she was 15 days old she was already looking chubby, because she was born very thin. Since then she’s been gaining weight. Now she is 10 months old and I have realized she is morbidly obese. Until now I haven’t been able to treat her because I am unemployed and didn’t have the money.
According to Mr. Fry, various medical conditions can cause rapid weight gain in children, including Prader-Willi syndrome, which causes a constant feeling of hunger and can easily lead to great weight gain. The Cushings sydrome — where high levels of the stress hormone cortisol — and Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome, also known as an “overgrowth syndrome”, can also cause babies to grow in size rapidly.
A month ago, Colombian charity Gorditos de Corazon (Chubby Hearts) brought baby Juanita to the capital, Bogota, where a team of specialists began treating her. Founder Salvador Palacio Gonzalez has made it his mission to fight a growing obesity problem in his country, which is increasingly affecting children. Juanita is the third baby he has seen in the last year who weighs more than 40 lbs. He said:
Thousands of children in Colombia — and millions around the world — suffer with obesity. From Colombia we have formed an international alliance to help people who are overweight.
4. Baby Juanita is now undergoing tests to determine the cause of her surprise weight gain.
5. Last month Colombian charity Gorditos de Corazon (Chubby Hearts) brought Juanita to the capital, Bogota, where a team of specialists began treatment for her obesity.
6. The most immediate risk of Juanita being so overweight is that she may develop type 2 diabetes within two or three years.
Juanita faces a difficult and uncertain future if her rapid weight gain is not controlled. The charity says it is crucial to resolve the issue before the age of one, so as to prevent illnesses associated with obesity. The greatest risk of Juanita is that she may develop type 2 diabetes within two or three years. Mr. Fry said:
We are already seeing children aged four with this condition, which can lead to heart disease in the teenage years. Overweight children and teenagers are more likely to become overweight or obese adults. It is an extremely difficult cycle to break.
Mrs. Franco added:
To all mothers that have babies like this, please take care of our children if we don’t want them to get sick. Please don’t let them die from one of these diseases.
And here is the video report:
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.