Bethany Hamilton lost her arm in a shark attack as a teenager, but didn’t let the incident define her future and went on to realize her dream of becoming a pro-surfer.
And she continues to inspire us — six months pregnant, the 25-year-old was captured on camera riding the waves off a beach in Kauai, Hawaii, by herself and with her baby bump on display in an athletic bikini.
Bethany looked relaxed and happy, greeting fellow surfers at the popular surfing spot. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Six months pregnant, pro-surfer Bethany Hamilton goes surfing in Hawaii this week.
2. Hamilton, 25, showed that the pregnancy wasn’t slowing down her board skills as she rode the Hawaii surf.
Bethany and husband Adam Dirks announced last month that they were expecting their first child together.
The athletic couple competed last year in season 25 of The Amazing Race — a reality TV show in which teams of two people with some kind of a preexisting personal relationship race around the world in competition with other teams for the chance to win $1 million. Bethany and Adam came in third place.
The couple, who married in August 2013, told their fans the news about their baby boy in a pre-recorded interview from their Hawaii home.
3. The pro-surfer and husband Adam Dirks are expecting their first child in June. Bethany lost her arm in a shark attack when she was 13.
4. The pro-surfer and her husband announced to fans that they were having a baby in a video message last month from their Hawaii home.
In the interview last month, Bethany said:
In baby terms I’m about 22 weeks, which is about halfway there.
It’s been a pretty crazy last four months finding out that we’re going to be parents. Life’s kind of going to be changing and kind of just started to prep for bringing a new little being into the world.
It’s really exciting. I’ve been surfing throughout my whole pregnancy. I plan to surf as long as I can.
Once the belly’s pretty big maybe just like mellow it out and spend more time swimming and just enjoying the ocean and doing other activities.
5. Hamilton’s long list of achievements include being ranked 20th in the top female surfers in the world in 2010.
6. Hamilton said that she planned to surf for as long as she could in her pregnancy and then enjoy swimming.
Would raising a child with one arm be difficult? “I’ll figure it out and be creative”, said Bethany and added:
Motherhood with one arm, I kind of think about it. I kind of forget that I have one arm, a squirming baby and changing diapers and just me could be really challenging but I think how I live life now I just adjust and adapt to different things and I’ll find my own ways to take care of the baby.
Bethany’s story has served as an inspiration to many after she wrote about her experience in her book, titled Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board.
In 2011, the book was made into a movie starring Dennis Quaid and Carrie Underwood and Anna Sophia Robb portrayed Bethany.
7. Bethany Hamilton’s amazing life story was the subject of a 2011 movie starring Dennis Quaid, Carrie Underwood and Anna Sophia Robb.
8. At 13, Bethany lost her arm, and suffered a 60-percent blood loss in a shark attack while surfing off the coast of Kauai. Four years later, she was competing professionally.
Bethany lost her arm and 60 percent of the blood in her body when she was 13. She was surfing off the coast of Kauai when she was attacked by a shark.
But the teenager did not let the incident ruin her dreams of surfing and started competing professionally four years later, in 2007.
In 2010, Bethany was ranked twentieth among professional female surfers.
Bethany is also a motivational speaker who tours the country telling her inspiring story.
She credits her Christian faith with being one of her biggest inspirations to pursuing her surfing career.
Bethany’s Christian youth minister husband Adam also shares her beliefs.
9. Bethany has said that she will get “creative” to help her raise a child with one arm. On her injury, she added: “I kind of forget about it”.
10. Bethany Hamilton announces she is expecting a baby boy.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.