When he was finally taken to a vet, George the Pointer cross was starved to the point where he was able to tuck his hind legs under his rib cage.
Rosemary Robinson, 41, and her daughter Rachel, 19, the mother and daughter who starved George until all that was left of him was “skin and bone”, have now been banned from keeping animals for five years.
Hastings Magistrates Court, in the U.K., heard that in addition to the starvation, the dog’s body was also covered in sores and he was suffering from a lung condition caused by a lack of worming.
1. Rosemary Robinson, 41, and her daughter Rachel, 19, have been banned from keeping any animals for five years after starving pet Pointer cross George.
2. The dog was so emaciated that he was able to tuck his hind legs up under his ribcage, and was also covered in sores and masses, according to the RSPCA.
George’s overall condition was so poor, and he was living in such constant pain, that the vets felt they had no choice but to put him down.
Neither of the two owners showed up to the hearing and so were sentenced in absentia to a number of animal welfare offenses.
Rosemary Robinson, the mother, was given a community order for six months, a six-month curfew and will have to pay ┬ú1,063 ($1,580) in costs and fines.
Rachel Robinson was sentenced to a 12-month community order, 100 hours of unpaid work and will pay ┬ú763 ($1,135) in costs and fines.
3. George was also suffering from a lung condition due to a lack of worming, and was in such constant pain that vets had to put him down.
4. Ms. Robinson and her daughter failed to appear at their court hearing and so were sentenced in absentia to a number of animal abuse charges.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) was contacted in February, after George was finally taken to a vet. RSPCA inspector Zoe Ballard said:
George was one of the thinnest dogs I have ever seen and had clearly been deteriorating and suffering for some time.
As well as being emaciated he had lumps and masses all over his body and was suffering from a chronic lung condition caused by lack of worming.
He had deteriorated to such an extent that he was living in constant pain — It was obvious at first glance that he should have been taken to a vet a long time before.
5. One RSPCA worker said that George’s condition was only discovered after the owners eventually took him to the vet and concerned staff called them.
Source: The Argus.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.