This is just such a powerful image — no wonder that it got viral. Showing three young girls, all bald from the chemotherapy they had undergone and hugging one another lovingly, the image conquered countless people’s hearts earlier this year. Well, it is now once again attracting attention and for great reason — all three girls have beaten cancer!
Four-year-old Ainsley Peters, three-year-old Rylie Hughey and six-year-old Rheann Franklin had never met one another before they were brought together by Scantling Photography of Oklahoma for the now-famous shot.
Yet, the girls did have a common bond — they were fighting for their lives. Fortunately, now the three of them can celebrate their remission together. Photographer Lora Scantling, who took the famous shot, told Yahoo:
Rheann was the only one still fighting, and she was still pretty sick and still projected to have quite some time to go.
Rheann’s YouCaring┬ádonation page tells us that the girl endured five brain surgeries, another to place a port in her head and underwent a round of chemo, along with months of head and spine radiation. Ms. Scantling said:
So of course when they declared her in remission, I cried. About a year before that photo was taken, she was so sick that the doctors told her family to prepare for the worst.
Ainsley Jane Peters had an acute lymphoblastic leukemia and was even placed in 10-day medically induced coma. Her Facebook page reads:
She has had to re-learn everything and has done so bravely.
The girl would have begun maintenance chemo in April which will last up to two years. The youngest of the girls — Rylie Hughey — suffered from stage 5 kidney cancer. She underwent both surgery and an ongoing chemotherapy, but she’s still an active and happy little girl. Her Facebook page says:
The loss of hair and the daily rounds of medication haven’t slowed this child down yet!
Back in April, as her photo was going viral, Scantling told Yahoo that the girls had bonded immediately even though they’d never seen one another before:
The girls had not met before, yet they bonded the instant they saw each other and it was like they knew they had a common bond.
Such a heartwarming story! (Scroll down for the video.)
1. This photo taken of three little girls battling potentially deadly cancers went viral in April. Now all three can say they are in remission.
2. Rheann, left, and Ainsley, right, and the third model, Rylie, had never met before the photo shoot but soon became firm friends.
3. Ainsley Peters was diagnosed with leukemia in August 2013 and was even placed in 10-day medically induced coma. ‘She has had to re-learn everything and has done so bravely’.
4. Ainsley, pictured before cancer was diagnosed, is in remission for leukemia.
5. Rheann Franklin is the oldest and perhaps longest suffering of the girls. Since her diagnosis of rare brain cancer mucoid spindle sarcoma in 2012, she’s undergone months of radiation, countless rounds of chemo, five brain surgeries.
6. Rheann, six, has a rare form of brain cancer and will need continued treatment despite her recent cancer-free check-up.
7. Rheann has had five brain surgeries since discovering she had cancer when she was four.
8. Rylie, 3, has undergone both surgery and continued chemotherapy, but her family says she’s still an active, happy little girl. ‘The loss of hair and the daily rounds of medication haven’t slowed this child down yet!’ says her Facebook page.
9. Three-year-old Rylie has beaten the kidney cancer she was suffering from.
10. Rylie before she found out she had cancer.
And here is the video:
Share this heartwarming story with your friends below — they will be deeply touched by it.