A deadly pair of huge and fast-moving tornadoes tore through northeast Nebraska on Monday evening, destroying everything in their paths. Powerful winds reaching 200 mph leveled entire neighborhoods in the tiny town of Pilger, a middle school and much of the farming infrastructure.
Worse, the tornadoes claimed two casualties and critically injured 16 others. One of the victims was reported to be a child, but the identities of the casualties have not yet been revealed. Just terrible… (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Rescue personnel tend to a young tornado victim in Pilger. A hospital spokeswoman says at least one person is dead and at least 16 more are in critical condition after two massive tornadoes swept through northeast Nebraska.
2. Severely damaged homes and buildings are seen after a tornado on Monday.
3. Corn silos crumpled in the face of the 200mph winds that decimated Pilger, Nebraska on Monday.
4. A man holds a girl after she was pulled from the basement of her destroyed home in Pilger.
5. A huge tornado rips through Nebraska.
6. Drivers risk their lives to escape a damaging 200MPH tornado.
7. Tornado cluster in Nebraska has wiped towns off the map.
8. A tornado forms over a house near Pilger, which would soon play the backdrop of the day’s most horrific destruction.
9. Tim Nelson searches for survivors in Pilger, Nebraska. As search and rescue efforts continued, the official death toll hovered at just one resident.
10. A man talks on the phone in front of tornado-damaged buildings. A swarm of tornadoes, some appearing two at a time, struck several farming communities in northeastern Nebraska on Monday.
11. Pilger, Nebraska was hit especially hard, as seen by this photo of a leveled home. Storm chasers stopped photographing after snapping this photo in order to help with rescue efforts.
12. Two tornadoes approach Pilger on Monday June 16, 2014. The National Weather Service said at least two twisters touched down within roughly a mile of each other Monday in northeast Nebraska and there were reports of more and continued threats through Monday night.
13. A tornado touches down near Pilger. Large tornadoes hit rural areas of northeastern Nebraska on Monday afternoon, with reports of property damage, according to forecasters and the Weather Channel.
14. This framegrab taken from video provided by StormChasingVideo.com shows two tornados approaching as they barrel down on Pilger.
15. Meteorologists report that three tornadoes likely touched down in northeast Nebraska, with the twin EF-4 tornadoes doing the most damage. Here, a single twister barrels along US 275 near Norfolk, Nebraska.
And here is the incredible video:
Via The Daily Mail.
Share the destruction wrought by these tornadoes with your friends below and let’s keep the victims in our thoughts today.