The death penalty is sought in the case of a couple who allegedly tortured their three-year-old son in a house of horrors in which dents in the wall were left where they bashed his little head against it. Jillian Tait, 31, and Gary Lee Fellenbaum, 23, are charged with murdering the woman’s son, Scott McMillan.
The Chester County, Pennsylvania, District Attorney’s Office told the couple at their arraignments this week that the prosecution will seek the death penalty against them because the boy was tortured to death and was younger than 12.
In November of last year, investigators released photos taken inside the trailer home where the crime took place and they paint a truly horrific picture. We see the mattress where the boy died, the whips that were allegedly used to beat him and even holes in the wall where Fellenbaum is alleged to have repeatedly smashed the youngster’s head.
Investigators also found a bent metal curtain rod that they believe was used during the child’s torment, which is thought to have lasted for weeks before his death. The couple from Chesco, Pennsylvania, have reportedly gone car shopping, bought pizza, had sex and took a nap as the unresponsive boy lay dying.
The relentless torture to which the boy was subjected consisted of being beaten with blunt objects, as well as punched in the face and stomach, tied to a chair with electrical tape and being hanged upside down. When the three-year-old’s body was taken to the emergency room, nurses have reportedly wept at the sight of his injuries. (Scroll down for the video reports.)
1. Scott McMillan, three, was tortured for weeks and beaten with a frying pan until he eventually died, prosecutors in Pennsylvania have said.
2. Jillian Tait, 31, and Gary Lee Fellenbaum, 23, were charged Thursday with murdering Tait’s son. Officials said they had sex and went to order pizza as the boy lay dying.
3. Amber Fellenbaum, 21, has been charged with child endangerment for allegedly witnessing the beatings of 3-year-old Scott McMillan but doing nothing to stop them.
4. The Chester County District Attorney came across a horrifying scene when they entered the pair’s trailer home in Pennsylvania. This is one of the whips that was believed to have been used to strike Scott.
A third person has been charged in connection to the murder and alleged torture of a 3-year-old boy in Pennsylvania. Jillian Tait and her boyfriend Gary Lee Fellenbaum were charged on Thursday with murdering Tait’s son, Scott McMillan in what Chester County District Attorney Thomas Hogan described as “an American horror story”. Police have now arrested Fellenbaum’s wife, Amber Fellenbaum, who allegedly witnessed the beatings, but did nothing to stop the violence. The three lived together in the trailer.
At a press conference on Friday, Chester County District Attorney Thomas Hogan said:
This is just evilness. It is an unspeakable act of depravity.
Hogan had described the torture to which the boy was subjected to:
Let me tell you about an American horror story. Little Scotty McMillan is dead. Over a three-day period… he was systematically tortured and beaten to death. He was punched in the face and in the stomach, he was scourged with a homemade whip, he was lashed with a metal rod, he was tied to a chair and beaten, he was tied upside down by his feet and beaten, his head was smashed through a wall and at the end of that he had bruises on top of bruises all over his body.
When his body went into the emergency room our ER nurses — who see a lot of terrible things — when they saw his body, they wept. Say a prayer for little Scott McMilan. The brief nightmare that was his life is over.
Hogan announced that his team would be seeking the death penalty for the couple, as the victim was under 12 and there are allegations he had been tortured. Amber Fellenbaum was charged with child endangerment for allegedly failing to help the toddler.
5. Investigators found holes in the wall where Fellenbaum had allegedly smashed Scott’s head.
6. The mattress where Scott was put on after Fellenbaum allegedly beat him until he was unresponsive is covered in blankets and clothes. The pair had sex and ate pizza as Scott lay there dying.
7. A bent curtain rod was also found, which attorneys believe was another item used to hit the boy.
8. Another whip, put together using electrical tape which was also used to tie Scott to chairs, was found on the floor in another part of their home.
9. Prosecutors said Scott had gone through weeks of torment, but the torture intensified last week when the youngster refused to eat his breakfast.
10. The pair were living in a trailer with Fellenbaum’s estranged wife and three children — Tait’s 6- and 3-year-old sons and the Fellenbaums’ 11-month-old daughter.
11. The couple met working at Wal-Mart and only moved in together last month along with Fellenbaum’s estranged wife and three children.
12. Amber Fellenbaum, 21, Gary’s estranged wife, was was charged with child endangerment for allegedly failing to help the toddler. Her mugshot following her arrest is right.
And here are the video reports:
Share these latest developments in this horrific crime with your friends and give us your thoughts in the comments below.