Her picture chasing a pickup truck down a busy highway after being abandoned at a gas station went viral a week ago. And now the dog has been rescued and will be up for adoption soon.
The Humane Society of Louisiana has been able to track down on Monday afternoon and get custody of Butterbean the missing dog, who is described as a “sweet German Shepherd mix”.
Butterbean was found after she was lost last week on Highway 11 in Slidell, Louisiana, but her owner Lisa Pearson evidently did not want to give her up, despite often leaving the dog alone to roam the neighborhood and allowing her to chase after their neighbor’s pick-up truck, according to the organization’s director Jeff Dorson.
1. Laurie Hollis captured the heartbreaking moment a German Shepherd desperately chased after the owner who abandoned her at a gas station on the side of a road in Slidell, Louisiana.
2. Butterbean at the vet’s office with Dr. Riedel (image source: Humane Society of Louisiana).
The Humane Society said in a statement that when the dog was found, Pearson “intended to keep the dog tethered outside” and added that local animal control officials issued her a warning.
Eventually, the owner agreed to release Butterbean for $400, instead of taking her to a shelter or vet, according to the Humane Society. Dorson said:
We certainly don’t like to reward this kind of behavior, but sometimes it simply takes too long for cases to move through the legal system.
Our first concern was Butterbean’s safety. We were convinced she could be let loose again to run in traffic at any time, and we might miss our opportunity to intervene.
3. The Humane Society of Louisiana was able to track down on Monday afternoon and get custody of Butterbean the missing dog, who is described as a “sweet German Shepherd mix” (image source: Humane Society of Louisiana).
4. Butterbean is now being cared for at the Furry Friends Animal Hospital in Harvey, Louisiana, and will be up for adoption soon, The Humane Society says (image source: Humane Society of Louisiana).
The Humane Society explained that, by claiming ownership, Pearson’s family may still be responsible for violating several ordinances relating to the dog’s behavior.
Butterbean is now being cared for at the Furry Friends Animal Hospital in Harvey, Louisiana, and will be up for adoption soon, Dorson said.
Those interested in adopting the dog will go through an application and interview process, he explained.
The Humane Society has launched a new campaign titled “Butterbean Buddies”, to “help reach more deserving dogs in need”, the organization said. Dorson added:
We’re delighted that this story will have a happy ending.
5. Laurie Hollis snapped the now-famous photograph, after she saw a man drop off the dog on Highway 11 (pictured) and yelled at his pet to “Go! Go over there!” The dog then gave chase after the truck drove off.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.