A video has captured the stomach-churning moment an Arizona couple find live, squirming parasitic worms in the salmon fillet they had just bought.
Once the discovery was made, Jen Chafitz, of Peoria, Arizona, focused her phone’s camera on the sealed package of a pound of wild keta salmon, infested with parasitic worms.
Chafitz, a married mother-of-three told a local TV station that she made the disgusting discovery just two hours after she got back from Fry’s grocery store in nearby Glendale. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. An Arizona woman purchased a pound of salmon for dinner, only to discover live parasitic worms crawling all over it.
Chafitz was about to start making dinner for her husband, Dustin, and three children when she thought she saw something moving inside the package.
Upon closer inspection, she observed a couple of white worms squirming their way inside the pink salmon fillet. Chafitz told ABC15:
Its head was sticking out of the fish. Standing there I felt like something was crawling on me, it was really gross.
2. Jen Chafitz and her husband, Dustin (pictured), purchased the fish from a store in Glendale, Arizona, planning to have it for dinner with their kids that night.
3. When Chafitz went back to Fry’s grocery store where she had bought the parasite-infested fish, employees initially claimed there was nothing wrong with it.
The woman drove right back to the store to complain about her purchase, but initially Fry’s employees denied that there was anything wrong with the salmon.
One employee even went as far as to claim that whatever was moving inside was part of the fish.
However, once a store manager looked at the worms squirming in and out of the salmon, he immediately apologized to the shopper and issued her a full refund, along with a $5 gift certificate.
All of that, however, left Chafitz unimpressed. She told Fox 10:
I didn’t make a big scene about it, it’s not about the money for me, it’s more about making people aware and getting them to put something on the shelf we can feed our family.
4. Chafitz has sworn off fish and meat for the time being, switching to a vegetarian diet.
Experts say that parasitic worms occur naturally in fish and usually do not pose any health risk, once the product is fully cooked. However, that was no consolation for Chafitz who said she was “freaked out” by the sight.
The Arizona Department of Environmental Protection suggests that, if unable to identify the parasite right away, the best course of action is to throw the infested fish away, just to be on the safe side.
5. An Arizona couple find parasitic worms in salmon they had just bought from a supermarket.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.