A 31-year-old man has been arrested in San Jose, California, three days after he was caught on security camera breaking into a 13-year-old girl’s home and trying to rape her.
Mohammad Khaliqi is believed to be the bearded man filmed on the surveillance video stalking the unidentified girl’s home, breaking into it and then fleeing after the teen hit him in the face.
Police believe that this isn’t the first time Khaliqi has attempted to sexually assault someone. They believe he also attacked a 28-year-old woman last month, after forcing his way into the grocery store’s bathroom she was using. (Scroll down for the surveillance video.)
1. Mohammah Khaliqi, 31, has been arrested for allegedly breaking into a home last Tuesday and trying to rape a 13-year-old girl.
2. Police believe Khaliqi is the man seen on surveillance tape from the incident on Tuesday.
Deputy Police Chief Shawny Williams was glad that his officers were able to arrest Khaliqi on Friday, before he could strike again. He said:
As a chief, as a police officer and as a citizen, I am relieved. The survivors that he attacked can also rest assured that he is off the streets.
Police said that after the suspect left the teen’s home on Tuesday, he shaved off his head and beard, after surveillance images were released online.
He then fled in the middle of the night but police tips eventually led them to a house on the 400 block of School Street in San Leandro, about an hour north of San Jose, where Khaliqi was taken into custody.
3. They also believe he may be the same suspect sought in an April attempted sexual assault of a 28-year-old woman in a grocery store’s bathroom. The suspect in that incident is pictured in the CCTV still below.
4. On Tuesday, a 13-year-old girl in San Jose, California, was followed home by an older man, believed to be Kahliqi.
The suspect is currently being held at the Santa Clara County Jail on charges of burglary, attempted sexual assault and false imprisonment.
Before Khaliqi’s arrest on Friday, the victim in Tuesday’s attack told ABC News that she first noticed the man following her as she was walking home from school.
She said the man walked up to her front porch with her, told her he was lost and then asked her how old she was and what her name was. He then started asking inappropriate questions, the girl said.
5. The girl tried to slam the door behind her, but was unsuccessful and the intruder broke in.
The teen told ABC News:
That’s when I decided to run inside the house because I’d already unlocked it.
I tried to slam the door on him but I couldn’t.
She managed to hit her attacker in the face, which made him flee. The girl then hid in a closet and sent her father a text saying:
Daddy, come home now. Some guy tried to rape me.
6. However, he stopped attacking the girl when she slapped him in the face, and then he fled.
Sgt. Enrique Garcia of the San Jose Police Department said he feared the predator would attack again. He said:
Without a doubt. These guys are predators.
He’s not concerned about being caught, since he’s doing this in broad daylight.
The 13-year-old said she was relieved to be safe. She said:
I’m really happy I’m safe, but I’m still really scared. I’m really low on trusting the outside world anymore.
7. The moment a teenage girl fights off a sexual predator in her home.
Source: ABC News.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter — they would want to read that, too.