Russia has been in the news for all the wrong reasons for quite a few months now, so I was glad to see something out of the gloomy pattern emerge from the country. And, boy, is that fun…
OK, let me state up-front that I’ve never seen anything like that, ever. If anyone has images of something similar, I would be hugely thankful if you shared it with the rest of us — I’d be happy to post them here, if you wish.
So, the images below show a couple of teenagers in the the city of Oryol who have created a fully-fledged swimming pool in their apartment’s living room. We do not know whether their mother was aware of the project, but I strongly suspect that she had been left in the dark.
As temperatures in Oryol, which is located approximately 220 miles south-southwest of Moscow, got up well into the 90s, the boys are seen to have wrapped the room up with polyethylene film and tape and then filled the improvised pool with water several feet deep.
As you would expect, the images of the teens went viral immediately after being posted on Russian-language social media last night. They are seen swimming together, posing for photos with their thumbs up and diving, with a thin layer of film seen behind them covering their furniture and radiators. Not everyone was impressed, with some commenters calling the boys “idiots”. One commenter said:
The water is about half a metre high, which means it is about half a ton for every square metre. I wonder if their neighbours will gather altogether to give them a good lesson?
I hope the electric plugs are way above the water level.
A third one wondered:
I hope they cut their nails really well before going inside…what if they break the film.
So there you have it — make of it what you will. (Scroll down for a video of an Australian man explaining how to create a pool in the bed of your truck.)
1. The Russian teenagers built a fully-functioning swimming pool in the living room of their flat in Moscow. Quite how they planned to remove the water out of the building remains unknown.
2. With temperatures in the 90s outside, the unnamed boys used only ‘polyethylene film and tape’ to transform their carpeted lounge into a swimming pool several feet deep.
3. They are seeing swimming together, posing with their thumbs up and diving beneath the water, while a thin layer of film covers their furniture and radiators.
4. The images of the boys went viral after being posted on various Russian-language social media websites last night.
5. As well as social media posts congratulating the boys’ creative way of keeping cool in the summer heat, there were others who branded them ‘idiots’.
6. One person posting on Russian social media about the images said: ‘The water is about half a metre high, which means it is about half a ton for every square meter’.
7. It is not immediately clear if the boy’s had permission from the property owner to build the makeshift swimming pool, but given the risk of serious damage, it seems highly unlikely.
And here are the videos:
Via The Daily Mail.
Share this incredible story with your friends below — chances are that they’ve never seen anything like it.