An 11-year-old girl from Arkansas scared her parents out of their wits last week when she ran away from her home, after first stealing $10,000 from her grandmother, and hailed a cab in the hope of traveling to Florida to meet a boy who knew nothing about her plans.
When Brent Waller found out that his daughter Alexis was missing on December 5, his immediate thought was that she had been abducted. But he soon discovered that the 11-year-old girl was not the victim of a kidnapping, but a culprit instead.
Alexis stole $10,000 in cash from her grandmother’s sock drawer, crept out of her Bryant, Arkansas, home in the middle of the night, and hitchhiked to a gas station in Little Rock. She then hailed a cab and asked the driver to take her to Jacksonville, Florida, located about 830 miles away.
Later the girl said that the cab driver did not ask her any questions other than the final destination and whether or not she had the $1,300 fare. Alexis said she decided to make the long journey, because she wanted to see the 16-year-old boy she had met on vacation two years earlier and had been talking to ever since. But the Florida teen later said he knew nothing about the girl’s escape plan.
After Alexis’ parents called the police to report her missing, investigators obtained her phone records and were able to trace the girl’s call to the Little Rock cab company, where officials said Alexis wore heavy make-up and looked to be 17 or 18, Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports. (Scroll down for the the video report.)
1. Sitting on the couch next to her dad, Brent Waller, a crestfallen Alexis said she was glad her parents tracked her down and brought her home.
2. Alexis Waller, 11, pictured left and right, gave her father the scare of his life December 5 when she ran away from their Bryant, Arkansas, home.
3. The girl headed to Florida alone to meet a boy.
4. Alexis started her journey in her hometown of Bryan, Arkansas, planning to travel more than 850-mile down to Jacksonville, Florida, but was detained in Atlanta, Georgia, about 350 miles shy of her goal.
Police soon reached the cab driver the girl had hired, who told them they were driving in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia. The girl’s parents quickly hit the road, drove nine hours and pick her up.
Looking back, Alexis Waller said she was glad that her parents were able to track her down and bring her home safely. Alexis told KARK-TV:
I knew I made a mistake after a while and I didn’t have a phone.
Brent Waller said that he was furious at his daughter when he reunited with her in Georgia, but was also relieved that she was unharmed. Still, Alexis has now had her cell phone and make-up confiscated as punishment. Her grandmother will not be pressing charges over the stolen cash.
5. The teen swiped $10,000 from her grandmother’s sock drawer, hitchhiked to a gas station in Little Rock where she hailed a cab, paying the driver $1,300 to take her to faraway Jacksonville, Florida.
6. Police were able to track Alexis down to a suburb outside Atlanta, Georgia, where her father, Brent Waller (pictured), picked her up after driving for nine hours through the night.
7. Mr. Waller took away Alexis’ make-up after learning that the young girl used it on the night of her escape to make herself look older.
And here is the video report:
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet this to your Twitter followers — they would want to read it, too.