This Could Happen To Your Children! A Teen Girl Wakes Up To Find Her Phone Had Burned Her Bed.

You cannot make such stuff up. Oh, and once you’ve seen how the phone looked like after the incident, you’ll probably wonder how the girl herself got away unscathed. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me give you the story, as it happened.

So, Ariel Tolfree — a 13-year-old Texas girl — had left her Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone under her pillow before she fell asleep, as she probably always does. This time, however, was different and Ariel was awaken at night by the smell of something burning. At first, however, she didn’t really pay much attention. She told KDFW television channel:

I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep and then I woke up again and it was more prominent.

I guess I also would have dismissed the smell at first. I mean, what was she supposed to think — that her phone was burning under her pillow? Well, that is precisely what Ariel discovered after she woke up the second time. As you will see below, she found that her phone was charred and partially melted to the point that it couldn’t be recognized for what it was. The girl’s sheets, mattress and pillow were also scorched.

How Ariel herself got away with nothing but a burned bed, unusable phone and a story to tell is beyond me. Her father believes, with reason, that the phone had overheated, which caused the battery to swell and ignite a small fire.

KDFW TV had reached to Samsung for answers and they said that the “battery inside the phone was a replacement unit and not an original Samsung battery”. In other words, it was not their fault, because they cannot control the quality and compatibility of batteries they have neither manufactured, nor approved of. I will leave you to be the judge of the merits of Samsung’s explanation.

Thomas Tolfree, the girl’s father, told KDFW:

If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that’s the case.

Samsung have of course told KDFW that they take battery fire “very seriously” (I mean, what else can they say?) and have requested for the phone to be mailed to them so they can investigate. They have also offered to replace the phone, the bedding, the mattress and pillow. (Scroll down for the video.)

1. Ariel Tolfree recently awoke from her slumber to find her Samsung Galaxy S4 smoldering underneath her pillow. The battery apparently ignited, creating a small fire that scorched her pillow and bed sheets.

This Could Happen To Your Children! A Teen Girl Wakes Up To Find Her Phone Had Burned Her Bed.

2. This image shows close up the effect of the fire. Samsung blames the use of a battery that wasn’t manufactured by the company, which it warns not to do in its ‘common warning’.

This Could Happen To Your Children! A Teen Girl Wakes Up To Find Her Phone Had Burned Her Bed.

3. This image shows the battery, which appears almost molten. It apparently was the cause of the smoldering phone after it overheated.

This Could Happen To Your Children! A Teen Girl Wakes Up To Find Her Phone Had Burned Her Bed.

4. Samsung said it takes battery fires ‘very seriously’ and offered to replace the phone, bedding, mattress and pillow.

This Could Happen To Your Children! A Teen Girl Wakes Up To Find Her Phone Had Burned Her Bed.

5. The remains of the phone.

This Could Happen To Your Children! A Teen Girl Wakes Up To Find Her Phone Had Burned Her Bed.

And here is the video:

Source: KDFW.

Share this disturbing story with your friends below — I think it would be a good idea to make sure that our children do not leave their phones underneath their pillows, at least until we can be reasonably certain that such incidents will not happen.