A dog was found buried up to her neck in France, with the pictures of the incident sparking outrage on social media around the world.
Police said that the mistreated dog’s owner has now been arrested. He has allegedly said that the dog had run away.
The French Mastiff was found and rescued on Saturday by a man who happened to be walking his own dog on waste ground in Carrieres-sur-Seine, to the west of Paris.
1. The owner will be put on trial for animal cruelty and could be sent to prison for two years and be forced to pay a fine of up to $30,000.
Upset by what he saw, the man shared images on Facebook, writing:
Only her head was visible and it was difficult to see given the amount of earth covering her.
The dog has been buried in the thick dirt and dust in the waste ground. Her leash is seen hanging from her neck and it has been tied to a sack of gravel.
2. It is thought the dog is more than 10-years-old and may have been suffering from arthritis.
3. Police have confirmed that the owner of the dog has been taken into custody. He said his dog had run away.
Unable to escape, the canine was found in a bad condition and suffering from dehydration.
The man who found the animal called the emergency services and freed the dog, carefully easing the pile of dirt around her.
The canine was then taken to a veterinary clinic nearby for treatment.
Police were able to trace the dog to her 21-year-old owner who was then arrested. The suspect denied burying the dog, saying that she had run away.
4. Tightly tied to the large bag of gravel, the dog’s leash meant the animal was unable to break free.
5. The dog was suffering badly from shock and dehydration, a police source said. She has been taken to the vet for treatment after her rescue.
However, police say the suspect’s explanation was “not very plausible” and will question the young man further. A source close to the investigation said:
The dog is more than 10-years-old and suffers from arthritis. It’s difficult to imagine her running away.
The owner is expected to be charged with animal cruelty and could be sentenced to jail for two years and fined up to $30,000.
6. The man attempted to ease the piles of dirt surrounding the dog before she was eventually freed by emergency services.
7. The distressed dog receives a lick on the side of her face in support from another dog.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.