Ever since I was a little boy I’ve been fascinated by medieval castles, as I guess many other boys have been. And how can you not be? These things look so imposing, formidable, grand, majestic and, well, warlike (that’s an important characteristic in a boy’s world, isn’t it?).
So, when I saw that a 1,000-year-old castle in Spain’s independent-minded Catalan region — Castell de Celra — is up for sale, I was all over the images. And I wasn’t disappointed, as I’m sure you won’t be, either.
Some details. The Castell de Celra is precisely the type of castle fairy tales are created around. The castle is located high on a hill, as such things tend to be, and its walls are 4ft thick, to deter marauding invaders. At its heart stands a 1,000-year-old tower from where its lord can take in stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
The castle is only 30 minutes from the awesome beaches of Costa Brava and offers 360-degree panoramic views as far as the Pyrenees Mountains. It is located midway between Barcelona and the French border and is listed as a historic monument. The Castell de Celra has seven en suite bedrooms, two kitchens and a barrel-vaulted dining room. It goes without saying that it features a suitably large wine cellar and its classic tower now doubles as a library.
And all this could be yours for a paltry $2.5million… (Scroll down for the video.)
1. The Castell de Celra lords over its rural setting in Catalonia, near Girona.
2. The barrel-vaulted dining room is among the Spanish castle’s many period features.
3. The large, private pool is among the newer, luxury additions to the home.
4. The perfectly cooled wine cellar protects the residents’ best bottles from the tyranny of time.
5. While some may have been sent to it in the past, the 1,000-year-old part is now a library room.
6. One of the stunning nearby Costa Brava beaches — just 30 minutes’ drive from the castle.
7. The beautiful region of Catalonia is at the castle’s doorstep.
8. A perfect example of the modern elements — the windows — melding with the modern archways.
9. Castell de Celra is listed as a historic monument and on the market for $2.5 million.
And here is a video of another amazing Spanish castle — Castillo de Butr├│n:
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share the stunning Castell de Celra castle with your friends below — who knows, one of them may want to buy it.