A heartbroken father was arrested in Georgia on Sunday for attempting to build a barricade at a spot on a bridge where his teen daughter plunged to her death in a car accident.
The girl, 16-year-old Cecily Hamilton, and her friend Taylor Swing, 18, died on March 15 after their car flew off the bridge in White County, Georgia, and into the water below.
Cecily’s father, Shannon, who had become frustrated waiting for the local authorities to act, has been arrested by deputies on Gene Nix Road on Sunday. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Shannon Hamilton was arrested on Sunday for attempting to build a barricade on a bridge in Georgia where his 16-year-old daughter had died.
Mr. Hamilton told AJC.com:
Every day that goes by is another day that we’re risking a life that goes into that creek.
Mr. Hamilton, accompanied by friends and family members, drove to the bridge to erect a temporary barrier to prevent cars from driving off the road.
But before the group could complete the work, Mr. Hamilton was arrested by deputies.
2. Cecily Hamilton, right, and her friend Taylor Swing, left, died on March 15 when their car plunged off the bridge in White County and into the water below.
3. Hamilton’s son captured the moment his father was charged with interference with government property on his phone and posted the footage on Facebook.
Mr. Hamilton’s 18-year-old son, Kale, filmed the moment his father was charged with interference with government property on his phone and posted the video on Facebook.
On Monday, Mr. Hamilton told 11Alive that, though he doesn’t condone breaking the law, he has no regrets about trying to prevent another tragedy. He said:
I pleaded with them toΓÇªput some concrete barriers up, some kind of temporary safety measure in place to prevent another father to have to walk across that bridge and identify their baby girl on the other side.
Since the two teens’ deaths, more than 3,800 people have signed a petition on Change.org, demanding that safety features are installed on the bridge.
4. Since the teens’ deaths, more than 3,800 people have signed a Change.org petition calling for safety features on the bridge.
Two weeks ago, White County Commissioners approved a motion to set up guardrails on the bridge, but there is no specific timetable for when the construction will start. White County Manager Mike Melton said:
We’ve talked to our engineers and they recommended that we do a permanent fix and not something temporary.
Mr. Melton is confident that construction will begin sometime in the next week or two, but Mr. Hamilton believes that isn’t quick enough. He said:
I think to not have something in place immediately by the end of the day, or a week ago, two weeks ago, or the day after this happened, I think that’s disgusting. I think that’s disrespectful and I think that’s reckless disregard.
The district attorney has said that he will keep in mind what Mr. Hamilton has had to go through when it comes time for sentencing.
5. Shannon Hamilton gets arrested for attempting to build a barricade at a spot on a bridge where his teen daughter plunged to her death in a car accident.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.